cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Issue obtaining a Wan IP address to 3rd party router when using a modem in bridge mode

Hi...Long story short I'm trying to set up pfsense to use as a router/firewall etc but failing after many different approaches and weeks.

I tried using a TP-Link VR900 in bridge mode, it connects to BT but my pfsense box will not pick up a public WAN address (does grab a private one) but the gateway says it is not connected.
After reading many forums it was suggested that a Hueawi HG612 modem was a cheap and easy way to use the modem and connect using bridge mode, however the same thing happens it connects but the pfsense router does not obtain a public Wan IP and gateway is not connected...It sees the BT default gateway 172.16.13.222 but It does not pass an IPv4 address back.

I've also tried to bypass the pfsense router to see if it was the issue, i did this by trying to use my laptop and windows to create a new Network connection 

dsl setup.PNG

Any advise would be awesome...

Here's some settings

Internet Connection Setup
DSL Modulation Type: VDSL
VLAN ID: 101
Connection Type: PPPoE
PPPoE Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
PPPoE Password: bt
VPI 0
VCI 38 

hg612.PNG

***I've also tried WAN 802.1p value 1 as suggested elsewhere***

hg612 2.PNG

***Tried Encapsulation mode LLC also***

hg612 3.PNG

***The received packets increment slowly 1 at a time***

xdl.PNG

hg612 lan.PNG

pfsense dash.PNGpfsense WAN 2.PNGpfsense WAN.PNG

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Issue obtaining a Wan IP address to 3rd party router when using a modem in bridge mode

You haven't included a screenshot of the xDSL tab of the HG612.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: Issue obtaining a Wan IP address to 3rd party router when using a modem in bridge mode

Many thanks...I've updated to original post with the xDSL settings
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Hmm, all looks good. I assume all works ok with a BT hub, if not it points to an account problem.

It seems very odd. Two different modems would rule out it being a modem problem and a direct PPPoE connection from a PC not working rules out a Pfsense problem.

The ATM settings are irrelevant as VDSL uses PTM.

It might be worth trying a factory reset of the HG612 as it is just plug and play in default configuration.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

I don't use my HG612 any more, but just fired it up to check config.

You need to set bridge mode as IP bridge rather than PPPoE bridge.

hg612wan.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Tanks for checking yours...I'm sure i tried IP_Bridged, but will try again.

As for your other questions, yes BT Smart hub works fine as does my other routers/modems using ppoe credentials...it's just the whole bridge thing where it falls down.

Would it be something on BT's side?  like a mac address related issue where it's caching the bt hub's address and not issuing out ip's via a bridge mode connection?   Totally guessing

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

@mach1ne wrote:

Would it be something on BT's side?  like a mac address related issue where it's caching the bt hub's address and not issuing out ip's via a bridge mode connection?   Totally guessing

No, you can swap between devices without problems.

As an aside, you have probably upset DLM with the constant interruptions though as your speed is currently banded at 30M when it is capable of 37M

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

They statically set my speed to 30mb at the exchange due to some sort of instability when it's left set to max....My router would go in and out of sync and cause the internet to drop.

I tried IP_Bridged and it connects as before but I am still unable to obtain an public wan IP....
Oh and i have unlocked the Hg612 so i could use the LAN2 for the GUI
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@mach1ne wrote:
They statically set my speed to 30mb at the exchange due to some sort of instability when it's left set to max....My router would go in and out of sync and cause the internet to drop.
Hmm, I wonder if this is relevant and requires a BT hub to work. I'm not familiar with how they would implement this. It seems unlikely though as you are getting DSL connectivity, it is just PPPoE connectivity that is failing.

I tried IP_Bridged and it connects as before but I am still unable to obtain an public wan IP....
Oh and i have unlocked the Hg612 so i could use the LAN2 for the GUI

Yep, you wouldn't have been able to post the screenshots if you hadn't 😉

Try a factory reset of the HG612 in case there is something else that I've missed that is wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Ok I'll try that later tonight after everyone has gone to bed...If i turn the internet off now and interrupt the families gaming session there'll be hell to pay!  You'd think they pay the bills!!

I take it a factory reset to default would have all the wrong vlan/vpi/vci and settings?

0 Ratings