cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Issues With My Connection Or My New Tablet?

Hey guys, I was hoping I could receive some advice and quickly if possible. I will explain why.

Recently, I bought a Samsung Galaxy A8 Tablet from Curry's online and had a hectic time getting the thing delivered and when it finally came, I noticed that the signal from the Wifi is really bad in my room.

The problem is that my room is far away from the BT Home Hub 5 router as I had to take it downstairs after an upgrade me and my family received and the engineer had to put the Router in a certain place in the living room, the issue is though like I said is that it's really far away from my room.

That being said, I never really had issues with the connection on my old IPad air which is near a decade old and my Samsung Phone which is a cheap A10 and it's about 3-4 years old now, so the question comes down to... is this due to my new tablet being faulty or just having a weak signal as I did read some reviews and people do state that it's one of the weaknesses of the Galaxy A8 Tablet or is it because that it's a more modern tablet and it requires more connection speed to work properly, it may be a silly question but I wouldn't say that I am the most tech savvy person in the world.

I also wanted to ask if it isn't to do with the tablet and should I keep it, can anyone give me a good recommendation on how I can speed up my connection in my room as I already tried a WiFi extender which is BT which I got on Amazon a long time ago when I was having connection issues before, it's a BT WiFi extender 1200, but the problem with that is that the connection is still slow, in fact it's slower than the usual connection I would receive from just connecting to the Wifi itself. but I did notice that my tablet does receive a good signal from the extender and it doesn't from the actual Wifi so I am in a bit of a dilemma and hope someone can help me out with this as if I do decide to return the tablet, I need to return it soon to Curry's or they won't give me a refund.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Issues With My Connection Or My New Tablet?

Hi @williammoreland1,

Thank you for posting. Regarding your question about whether the tablet is faulty or simply has a weak signal, it's difficult to say for certain without further troubleshooting.

There are a few things you can do to try to improve the wireless signal, like moving the location of the hub and changing the wireless channel.

To change your wireless channel take a look at - How do I change the wi-fi channel on my BT Hub

If you're using a Home Hub 5, it would be possible to split 2.4Ghz and the 5GHz Wifi signals. You could then get your tablet to connect to each one individually to see if that makes a difference.

To split the SSIDs take a look at - How do I split my BT Hub's SSID (wireless network name)?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hey Paddy, thanks for your reply and I will try that out. Just need to ask first if you are able to turn smart wireless again should changing the channels may not work. Its just in case this may make my speed worse. 

Just need to know if I can return the settings to normal if this doesn't work?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @williammoreland1,

Yes that right, any changes you make you will be able to change them back.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If that doesn't help, have a look at powerline adapters with wifi hotspot. They use your mains wiring to connect to each other.

TP Link make a whole range of devices of varying speeds and features

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/