cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Moving HomeHUB away from the ONT box

Hi,

I’ve recently had a BT engineer come to check on our Wi-Fi (we pay for the top 900 fibre broadband package but often find lagging issues). He’s been out, checked everything and said all seems ok other than the positioning of the router (cupboard under the stairs in a new build). He recommended moving the hub into another room and connecting the red port cable into an Ethernet socket installed by the house builder. I’ve done that and placed the router in another room. No matter how many of the four ethernet sockets I try (situated next to the ONT box) non seem to connect to the ethernet sockets in the other rooms, suggesting that I must keep the router under the stairs.

I’ve popped off all of the Ethernet sockets and all have wiring connected to them. Is there another way of doing this?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moving HomeHUB away from the ONT box

If it’s RJ45 ( Ethernet ) sockets in certain rooms , wired from a patch panel where the router is currently sited ( this will be where the developer/builder provided the pattress box for the ONT  and ran the Openreach provided internal optical cable to the external wall ) , then provided it’s RJ45 at both ends and the appropriate CAT5 cable is provided between them , you should be able to connect an RJ45 cable from the ONT into the appropriate socket under the stairs, and at the corresponding RJ45 in your preferred room, use another RJ45 cable from the socket into the WAN socket of the SH2 ( port 4 is a switchable port between WAN and LAN ) , if non of these sockets work it’s possible they are not connected, or not connected correctly, search CAT5 cabling to check the sockets are wired appropriately 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Moving HomeHUB away from the ONT box

Get a cheap utp cable tester that will test your connections and confirm the wiring. The key point is that you don’t want any other network devices connected between the Ont and the router wan port so use a dedicated connection/cable for that.

0 Ratings