cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Moving Smart Hub to living room from utility cupboard

Hello, 

We’ve just had an engineer fix a congestion issue which was leading to connection dropouts. 

While he was here, I asked if we can move the Smart Hub out of the cupboard to improve wireless signal and speed. He suggested connecting the Openreach box to one of the Ethernet patch bay ports and plugging in the Smart Hub into an Ethernet port in the desired room. 

I’ve tried every patch bay port and none of them seem to be working, the Smart Hub flashes purple every time. 

I’ve attached some photos to help understand/troubleshoot. Any help would be massively appreciated! 

Picture 1 is the utility cupboard where the Openreach box and patch bay are located.

Picture 2 is the destination port in the living room.

Picture 3 is where the living room port is connected to on the Smart Hub.

IMG_4579.jpeg

IMG_4580.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Moving Smart Hub to living room from utility cupboard

it is as if your patch panel is not wired up.

have you tried connecting hub in cupboard to the openreach modem (ONT) then connecting ethernet cable from hub to each socket in patch panel and trying the ethernet outlets in each room with ethernet connected laptop  to see if you actually get a connection proving they panel is wired correctly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

There looks to be quite a lot of that plug sticking out of the SH2, so firstly make sure it's fully pushed home. If it is, try another cable.

If no joy, put the SH2 back in the cupboard & connect another device in the living room. Either a laptop with an ethernet connection or to the TV, if it has ethernet. Hopefully either should have a connectivity LED on the ethernet socket that will tell you when you have a physical connection. Then work your way through the patch panels until it lights up. Then you know you have the right port, so mark it. Unfortunately the SH2 doesn't have LEDs.

Then try to connect the TV/laptop to the Internet. If all is good then the SH2 should work over the same connection.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

It’s not unheard of , for developers to offer ‘Ethernet connectivity’ in various rooms an an optional extra , and the ‘hardware’ is provided irrespective of the purchaser taking the option, they only connect the network for those that have paid , a little like a car manufacturer using the same wiring loom in all models, but obviously the lower specification models don’t have much connected to wiring loom , while the top spec models have equipment connected .
If the Ethernet patch panel is wired , then presumably in four locations around the home will be Ethernet sockets ( four individual ones ) , if you are connected in the cupboard to one of these and none of the four single Ethernet ports are ‘live’ , it suggests the Ethernet option wasn’t taken by the original house buyer .

You could try taking a look behind the four gang Ethernet patch panel to see if any wiring actually is connected.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

I’ve tried all of the patch bay ports and none of them are working. I removed the faceplate of the patch bay and they’re all wired, although the 5th port on the bottom row has different coloured wiring than the other ports. 

As others have suggested, I plugged the Smart Hub back in to its original place and ran an Ethernet cable from one of the Smart Hub ports into the patch bay ports. None of them seem to be connected to the living room port - tested with a PS5 as we don’t have any laptops with an Ethernet port. 

Having looked around the flat, the Ethernet port in the living room is the only one here. Other rooms only have a telephone line with no Ethernet. No idea what the patch bay is connected to!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

have you checked the living room patch to see if it is wired?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Just checked, the living room Ethernet port is wired and is the same colour as the single port in the bottom patch bay box. 

I’ve connected port 1 on Smart Hub to the single patch bay port, then connected the TV with an Ethernet cable in the front room - still not working. 

Any ideas on what could be the issue now?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

This is what's showing up in Hub Manager if this helps?

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 14.12.59.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

TBH , of these type of installations I’ve seen in new builds that offer this type of network  , the gang of four will be Ethernet and the single socket is a telephone socket , in the same way you don’t want your router in the cupboard, you may also not want your telephone in the same cupboard, if the phone is connected to the router ( and this is obviously FTTP only ) ….the developer provided the means ( if selected in the option list ) to patch the router LAN and telephone socket to sockets  elsewhere within the property , if the wiring in the living room matches the single socket , that suggests you connected your TV into the extension telephone socket not a Ethernet one , so no surprise it doesn’t work .

Are there four corresponding single Ethernet sockets located around the property, one for each of  what we assume are a Gang of Four Ethernet sockets in the cupboard ?  , and does the wiring match …it’s likely an electrician rather than a data network installer terminated  these Ethernet sockets , perhaps they have never been tested 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

From what I could see, the 4-way patch bay are all fully wired but have white cable housing. The single port in the bottom patch bay is also fully wired, but has purple cable housing which matches the ethernet port in the living room. There is a telephone port next to the ethernet port in the living room. The only other place where telephone ports exist are in the bedrooms.

So it seems that we have the 4-way patch bay with only a single ethernet port in the living room, and a total of 3 telephone ports in the other rooms. Maybe the patch bay are only for telephones, and not internet. Come to think of it, I don't think they've ever worked and have a very vague memory of trying to do this before when we first moved in. Without buying a testing device myself, is there any other way of getting the wiring tested, perhaps asking the landlord?

0 Ratings