cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Moving Smart Hub to living room from utility cupboard

It’s possible the 4 way gang is for extending the telephone connection into 4 different locations and the single way is Ethernet, but in my experience that’s not the normal way developers provide network around the property, generally 1 telephone socket and DECT handsets are the norm , but if the single way is an Ethernet socket and it doesn’t work , ( obviously try a few different Ethernet cables incase the one you are using is faulty ) then it’s wired incorrectly, or the cable is faulty , wether the landlord will be interested is anyone’s guess .

AFAIK, you can buy Ethernet testers quite cheaply that test Ethernet cabling .

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

I've just tried a load of different cables, in the 5 different patch bay ports and still nothing. Never mind then, just another thing to add to the list of things that don't work in this flat! haha

Thanks for all your help.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Depending on your package speed, another option could be to use powerline adapters. Better suited to lower speeds as they never reach the advertised speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

We have the 900 package, can’t remember the exact name but power line adapters probably aren’t going to come close to those speeds. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

I was going to say try different patch cables but iniltous beat me to it.  A cheap wire map tester is about a tenner on Amazon.  You don't need the more expensive ones.

A picture of the connections would be nice.  They should be as follows, at both ends:

Connection         Wire colour

1                            Orange/white

2                            Orange

3                            Green/white

4                            Blue

5                            Blue/white

6                            Green

7                            Brown/white

8                            Brown

0 Ratings