cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Moving a Full Fibre router

Hi,

I’m after some advice. I’ve just upgraded to Full Fibre broadband (no extra cost, fastest internet etc). The engineer has installed my Smart Hub 2 router in the hallway next to my front door which was a surprise to me. I have my satellite box and PlayStation connected by Ethernet cable to my old router which is right beside my TV, now I can’t use them. The engineer advised me to get a power line adapter.

BT Broadband Extender Powerline Adapter Wi-Fi Home Hotspot Flex 600 Kit, wired AV600, N150 Wi-Fi, pass-through socket

to move the new router to the old router's spot but will this work okay? Or will it just slow everything down?

I believe I plug the modem into the adapter and then the router plugs into the second adapter which will be by my TV?

I’m regretting getting the upgrade. Running an Ethernet cable around my house isn’t an option I’m afraid.

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moving a Full Fibre router

That's not ideal but should work for a 100Mb service. Not sure I'd trust them for anything above that. As for how well they'd work the only way to find out will be to try it. Make sure you source them from somewhere with an easy return policy & don't be fooled by the laughable speed claims they make. Go for the fastest you can afford & check reviews for real world speeds. they'll be a fraction of what's claimed.

I guess you could ask BT to supply a set FOC & see what they say.

Does the room with the TV not have an outside wall it could have come into?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks rbz5416,
The room does have an outside wall but I guess the BT engineer wanted to place the modem as close to the cable from the street as he could. I'm not feeling great about this.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You have to remember,  FTTP ONT= FTTC Master socket. Openreach never provided the wiring within your house from the Master socket to a remotely sited router.

If you do go the Powerline method, get something much better than the BT one you have posted. Look at the TP-Link range.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Rather than running Ethernet through your house have you considered running it outside. It will however mean drilling a couple of holes in the wall, one where your SH2 is presently located and one where you want it beside your TV.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

BT did provide the wiring internally to my old router. I guess that has now changed but it is the reason I was surprised they wired it in by the front door.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

If you were happy to have the fibre run around the outside of the house to a more suitable location, & there were no obstacles to prevent this, I'd get on to BT & request it's redone. If you're within 14 days of activation you have the right to cancel, so that's in your favour.

Even if you have only selected the 100Mb service this will be an obstacle to upgrading in the future should you wish to do so.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Why not just replace the old line from your hallway to your router with an ethernet cable? You might be able to simply use the old phone line as a draw cord to pull it through.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I really didn't want to have to do that but I think that's going to be the best solution.

0 Ratings