cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Moving a Master Socket to an incoming connection box - A job for Openreach?

Go to solution

Hi, We are sorting out a house we bought 12 months ago.

At the moment the Master Socket (separate sockets for phone and router) is in the hallway but the hall table is getting full with router/Salus box etc. etc.

I have an idea to move the master socket/fit a new master in a bedroom which has been set out as a home office.  Conveniently there is a BT connection box (see picture) exactly where I would want to put the master socket but as this the incoming line am I allowed to fit the new socket myself?  In the picture you can just about see the black sheathed landline cable and also two other white sheathed cables. One of these appears to be redundant but may have gone to extension sockets which are around the house but none of which work and in any case are no longer needed. Can I use the argument that I can move anything "inside" the house from this box onwards or do I need to get Openreach to install the new master socket at the location of this connection box?

If I can do this job myself, I have not made my mind up as to whether I need to existing master box to still function or not. If I do leave it in situ as a potential extension connection, do I just strap the new Master socket in parallel at the connection box?

Thanks.

HyFy

Wires going out of shot are not connected.Wires going out of shot are not connected.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving a Master Socket to an incoming connection box - A job for Openreach?

Go to solution

@HyFy 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Have you placed an order with BT Retail for broadband, as that will include any new master socket that may be needed?

Openreach will locate it where you want it, within reason.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that reply.

The Master Socket was in place when we bought the house.  We have continued to use BT as we had the router etc from our previous house. So Openreach have not been tasked by us to install any landline. Over the past 12 months the hall table which is next to the master socket has become overcrowded with phone/router/Salus box etc. and so I'm minded to move things upstairs hence the question. My query is that as the connection box I intend to use is between the existing master socket and where the landline physically enters the house, is this BT territory or can I do the job myself or as it is 'upstream' of the master socket am I required to involve Openreach?

HyFy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Anything from the external network to the master socket, belongs to Openreach.

Anything from the extension terminals on the master socket, is the responsibility of the customer. BT Retail have no involvement.

So provided you run your own extension from the correct point on the master socket, then you can do what you want.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Anything the other side of the master socket is Openreach. But what the eye doesn't see...

So if your spaghetti junction is indeed the first entry point for the incoming line, then just move the master socket to there & break the link to the hall. If you want to keep the extension in the hall then that would need a regular single BT431 faceplate to avoid confusion in the future, together with the correct connection to the master socket. You shouldn't have two master sockets.

All with the proviso that you're competent & understand that is it all goes wrong, Openreach will charge for any remedial work.

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks.  Yes, I had seen that explanation is previous posts. The existing master socket has been connected by Openreach "downstream" of the original connection box which would have been the master socket in its time.  This is supported by the redundant extension cable in the connection box. Have they therefore taken responsibilty  for the old and rather tired cable from the connection box to the more recent Openreach master.  If this would be the case then I guess that I can put a new cable from the more recent master back up to the bedroom/home office paralleling the existing cable and put a new master socket next to the connection box - effectively "moving" the master.

HyFy

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

You could be cheeky and just utilise an unused pair in that existing cable.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Jfdi

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Haven't heard that in a while! 😂

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

Seems sensible!

Thanks

HyFy

0 Ratings