cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

MyBT app on VPN

I'm away from home, I need to make changes to my HomeHub to unblock a group of devices. I've done it in the past via a VPN into my home network (OpenVPN to a Pii) using the MyBT app. Now the app says ' VPN detected' and some guff about VPNs preventing me from talking to my WiFi discs. I have no WiFi discs.

Ok, so I try browsing to the Hub directly, over the VPN. I can make the change there, perhaps? But apparently the Access Control settings are now managed by the MyBT app.

So what do I do now?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: MyBT app on VPN

Are you trying to use the MyBT app on the device you have or on a remote device via the Pi?

If the former, try the latter if there is a remote device with the app you can access.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I'm using the MyBT app on my device, while VPN'd into my home network.

I don't have any other devices at home to proxy through (that would involve me remoting into another mobile device as the settings I'm after are not accessible from a browser).

This used to work fine, but this VPN check has broken it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Depends how desperate you are to make the changes, but there is the nuclear option of factory resetting the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Not that desperate, to want to knock everything off my network (I'm not using the factory set ssid). It'll have to wait and hope that someone eventually realises this VPN check is daft. Not all VPNs are outgoing.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Personal experience has been that if the Pi is set up as the VPN server, it's very easy to break the "virtual bridge".  Trying to remember the circumstances but I think mine broke when there was a point upgrade to Debian!  After it broke I think I struggled setting the virtual bridge back up, but probably gave up and reinstalled Raspbian (or Raspberry Pi OS as was).  *That's a couple of years back as I now run WireGuard on a third-party router.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings