cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Need to move modem and hub to a different location in my home

Hi everyone,

I recently had an Openreach engineer install a new modem and hub for my BT Fibre 500 broadband service. Unfortunately, the location where the equipment was installed is causing some inconvenience for me and my family. I would like to move the equipment to a different location in my home, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I called BT customer service, and they told me that there might be additional charges for moving the equipment. However, I believe that the current location is unsuitable and would like to move the equipment without incurring any additional charges.

I waited almost a month for fast internet service, but the doorway is too far from reception room and working room, so I just use normal speed internet. 

The engineer told me that doorway was only place to install the modem and he only used short cable to connect between modem and hub, but if he installed the modem more inner place, I could install the hub in the reception room. I trusted his word about internet speed. However, the internet connection is poor in the room. I really disappointed about this kind of service. 

Can anyone advise me on the best way to proceed? Is it possible to negotiate with BT customer service to have the equipment moved without charges? Or are there any clauses in my contract that might allow for this? I would appreciate any advice or guidance that you can offer.

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Need to move modem and hub to a different location in my home

@bestkim81 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

If you need the  ONT moved, then please see this post. https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/OpenReach-Fibre-Modem/m-p/2267829#M199551

You can move the home hub to a different location by either using a longer Ethernet cable, or a couple of powerline adapters. Powerline adapters may reduce the speed, depending on which type you use.

0 Ratings