cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Network Issues with BT TV Pro

Hi All,

I recently renewed BT contract and was sent a new BT TV Pro box and Smart Hub, as my network setup was already working fine, I opted to just replace the old Youview box with the new TV Pro box. Unfortunately this seems to have introduced all sorts of issues with my network with random equipment (WiFi and Ethernet) dropping off the network. It's noticeable within about 5 mins of connecting the box, everything returns after disconnecting it.

The box itself works fine and can stream all channels including in Internet mode. However I've just resorted to using the old Youview box for now.

The Pro box is connected by ethernet direct to port in router, setup as below:

Edgerouter X SFP with BT Open reach Modem (ECI telecom) on ETH0

BT TV box connected directly to ETH4 on Edgerouter

Edgerouter uplink to UNIFI POE switch on ETH1 (this switch also connects to a Mikrotik and TP Link switch).

Also have 2 UNIFI AP's and an old Asus RT-AC68U set to use as AP

Initially I thought might be conflicting IP addresses, so tried both manually and auto network setup, but still had issues.

I wonder if anyone else has got the Pro box working with Edgerouter or similar setup? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Network Issues with BT TV Pro

I would recommend calling bt the tv box might be broken I had to have 2 different pro box's sent to me before got told by a bt engineer that the pro box's were rushed out to try and keep up with sky and that there a lot of issues with them. If you have a aerial just keep with the old box there more reliable 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the heads-up,

I forgot to mention, I did try calling BT Tech support, who advised me my router was experiencing too much 'pressure' due to the Pro box being more demanding, which just confused me even more! I was also advised it would only work with the SmartHub...

I may try again and persuade someone to send a new one, I did like the Internet mode as this removed requirement for my dodgy aerial, although I'm now using more apps which provide the channels we like via internet on the old box.

Cheers...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Which Internet package are you on.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@grb3wrote:

I forgot to mention, I did try calling BT Tech support, who advised me my router was experiencing too much 'pressure' due to the Pro box being more demanding, which just confused me even more! I was also advised it would only work with the SmartHub.

I do sometimes wonder if there's some sort of daily prize awarded for the most outlandish lies fed to a customer... 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

For real my assumption is that he could of possibly meant that your Internet package isn't good enough my assumption would be the tv streaming would be only about 20mpbs that it uses you can use the new box over aerial might be worth seeing if you still get the same issue over aerial.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

We're on Fibre 2 (to cabinet) so around 76 Mbps
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I suppose I was being diplomatic by saying I was confused!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Yeah, I thought I might try that but unfortunately I tried both Internet mode and aerial but it 'seems' it is the network connection or internals that screws the rest of the network. I also tried WiFi connection, the Asus 'AP' is in same room as the Pro box but did not work (but I haven't set up multicast on WiFi yet, so might have to experiment with that). I try to keep wired to as many devices as possible. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Hi @grb3 ,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some technical issues here, we'd love to help & understand this.

To help, we need to understand what is going on at a network level on your router, of which we don't have any visibility as you're using your own.

Do you have a BT router, and when connecting this does the issue disappear? (If not, we can get some visibility remotely of what may be going on)

If you don't have a BT router, it would be useful to see the technical logs from your router so that we can see what is happening across the devices.

Is it possible to grab those logs? You'd need to have everything connected & replicate what you usually experience, export the logs and send them to me in a direct message.

0 Ratings