cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

ONT - Ethernet (possible) Problem

Go to solution

Hi All!

So I am a novice to ethernet, router set ups and the rest of it, but the short of it is that I brought my first and new build home back in March now and my ethernet set up has been bugging me.

So my ONT is in my cupboard in the hallway so that's where my router is, which is fine, but I have ethernet sockets dotted about my home which when I plug something in nothing happens and there is no internet connection. How do I get an internet connection to the ethernet sockets around my home?

Like I said I a novice to all of this so it may seem a silly question, hopefully someone can give me an insight! At the moment I have a 10M ethernet cable running from the router in the hallway cupboard to my gaming PC.. not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to the eye!

Thanks, Devlar. (attached is a picture of the set up, apologies for the wires, I'm working on it 😂)

c60e6299-c7d9-4267-9570-1c8818a0e8ed.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: ONT - Ethernet (possible) Problem

Go to solution

The Ethernet sockets that are 'dotted about' should all be wired back to a patch panel of Ethernet sockets adjacent to your router. Connect the sockets to the Ethernet ports on your router with patch leads. The remote sockets will then be live.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply!

So there aren't any ethernet ports in the cupboard where the ONT and router are so there's nothing to plug an ethernet cable into.. all there is an unused phone socket and a blanking panel.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Guess the developer didn't do his job properly. I suspect if you look behind the Ethernet sockets in the other rooms you will find they are not cabled.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I thought this also, but I have checked behind the plug and they are wired up to something.. I suspect something has been left out somewhere I'm just not sure what. I suspect that either the blanking plate was supposed to be the ethernet ports.. or the phone socket was supposed to be an ethernet port?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something simple.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Check behind the blanking plate for coiled up cables.

Ethernet can't be daisy chained, there needs to be as many sockets at the patch panel as sockets on various rooms. You then need to identify which cable goes to each room

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

So, blanking plate removed and there is a couple of purple cables sitting in there.. would this be the problem? 😂

unnamed.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Yep, you need to buy a couple of RJ45 sockets and wire them up. Or get the property developer to get his sparky back and finish the job that he should have done in the first place.

If you have more than 2 other sockets dotted around the house they probably haven't been wired correctly either, there should be a separate cable from each socket.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yeah there are 3 sockets dotted about the place and only 2 cables 🤔

Have contacted the developer to ask for someone to be sent round to fix it, hopefully working ethernet ports after that!

Thank you for the help and insight, much appreciated!

0 Ratings