cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

ONT move

Hi after some help. I have a ONT move booked in next month as my box is located in the garage in a 3 story house and the connection is poor to the upstairs office and BT have agreed it needs moving.

I'm in a new build house that has Ethernet  ports scattered throughout the property including the office. Iv tried connecting my BT home hub to these and I get nothing. I don't have a media plate in the garage just the ONT box connected a openreach grey box and my router.

I'm concerned that the BT engineer will need to drill holes in the walls to move the ONT location and would prefer this not to happen.

Is there a way these Ethernet ports can be utilized so I can just run an Ethernet cable straight into them and into my home computer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: ONT move

Hi @Cyber2077 ,

If you have ethernet ports throughout the house, each of those ports has to connect back to somewhere - is there a location in the house (possibly in cupboard, maybe where the fuse box is) that has multiple ethernet sockets?  And are the various ethernet sockets labelled in any way?

Ideally, what you want to do is have your BT Hub located next to those multiple sockets, and then use cables from the hub to the sockets to distribute the Internet connection to your various rooms.

The question of how you connect the ONT to the Hub (and whether the ONT even needs to be moved) will be easier to address once we understand how the various ethernet sockets are connected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

If there are Ethernet ports through out the house there must be on termination point where they all meet. It will have the same number of ports as there are sockets through out the house and would normally be where it is expected that you will place your router or in this case the BT Smarthub. If you can not find it you should contact the builder and ask them where it is.

Once you have located it this is the main distribution socket . You would need to connect your BT Hub's LAN sockets to the distribution sockets by Ethernet and then work out which socket feed each room and you would be able to connect your PC to the socket in the room.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Are you sure they are Ethernet sockets ?, if they are , then each Ethernet ‘circuit’ should originate from a common point , and if provided by the developer the common point would be where the ONT was designed to be located, so as to take advantage of them , whereas if they are phone sockets they would simply be ‘daisy chained’ together, it’s the case , for some strange reason , many major developers still provide extension phone sockets on newsites that are FTTP , most that will provide an Ethernet network charge extra for providing one around the building, if you didn’t ask for ( and pay for ) Ethernet, then its not likely to be Ethernet

If you are getting the ONT relocated, then it will be a surface wired from the CSP to the new location of the ONT , obviously this will almost certainly require drilling , cable fixings etc .

The internal copper cables the developer provided are ‘hidden’ because they were installed at first fix ( so behind the finished internal wall finishes ) and will be of no use with an ONT shift , if you wanted to somehow use them to extend the Ethernet connection from the existing ONT position , to the new router location, ( what the developer normally provides Ethernet wiring for ) this obviously isn’t relocating the ONT and the OR tech will not simply change the job from ONT relocation to trying to rewire what the developer provided , for one thing , they won’t have RJ45 socket faceplates to replace the developer provided telephone extension faceplates anyway , that’s making the assumption that the copper cables could be used for Ethernet , which probably isn’t possible anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

As people have said, they may be just phone cables, but if they are ethernet then you should have something like this:

Lan_diag.jpg

0 Ratings