cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

ONT to Dream Machine Pro

Go to solution

So im installing a UDM pro at my new house - it has an ONT connection with a rj45 output. I know i can connect directly from the ONT to the UDM via rj45.

The question is should i / could i connect from the ONT via rj45 and connect it to the UDM pro with a rj45 "adaptor"  converting it to sfp/+ ?  

The connection is 1gb and it appears my 1gb lan is as times restricting the connection speed due to traffic, hence the reason to use sfp/+ and the 10gb connection?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: ONT to Dream Machine Pro

Go to solution

I thought OR  current ONTs only support 1Gbps Ethernet. I read the new 1.4 & 1.8 Gbps will use a new ONT that supports 2.5 Gbps - but not sure where I read it or when rollout will start.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Even if the connection to the ont is 1gb is it not worth using the sfp port anyway?

jusr to make sure no bottle necks happen?

thanks 

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

A GbE port is a GbE port, why would there be a bottleneck.  You are just creating unnecessary complexity.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Because if the connection is 1gb and the lan is 1gb then the lan can be restricting the internet connection due to other network traffic - as tested currently.

And I may well want to use the rj45 internet connection on the udm for another isp. 

so yes, I deem it necessary. 

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Whatever

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

helpful thanks.

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

It is of course entirely up to you whether you use an adapter for sfp/+ with your UDM Pro, you asked for "thoughts?".

I think it highly unlikely you will see any improvement in performance unless you are finding a limit in the UDM Pro. All Ethernet switches have a backplane that is far more capable than the combined performance of a single port and in most significantly more than that, I would expect the UDM Pro to have at least a15Gb/s backplane. That means that even all your lan ports running at 1Gb/s along with your wan port at 1 Gb/s should not be limited by any port on the switch. Using the sfp+ option would therefore make little difference in performance imho. It certainly should not slow things down, but don't expect any improvement.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the info, really appreciate the advice. 

When i get moved in next month i will report back my findings.

appreciate your time.

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings