cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: OpenReach Fibre Modem

@NeilO 

can they not go from outside the house round to the rear of the house?

does that mean they could at least move it from the cupboard one floor up then + 10m of internal cabling?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

@LHunter97 My understanding is that it needs to be no more than 10 meters from the splice point which you mentioned was at your front door. 

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Hi @NeilO ,

okay thanks for the information. 

I think the safest option is to cancel my package as it’ll be too late before an engineer comes to my house. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

@LHunter97 no worries, would it be possible to get the developers to run an ethernet cable internally to the office as that does seem like an unusual place to situate the ONT especially when there is no ethernet patch panel?

Thanks

Neil 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

@Niel 

unfortunately my house builder is awful and I’m out of the 2 year snag period so don’t think they’ll come out for that.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

It seems to me a bit of a waste to have a ONT and fibre connection sitting there waiting for any future occupant, as Openreach will not remove it, as its part of their network.

There are independent companies who will run internal or external Ethernet cabling, and make a neat job of it. Modern houses have dry liners, and adding internal cabling is not usually an issue, even if it means going up into the loft space, then down again. I doubt that you would even notice it.

External Ethernet cabling is no different than that which VM use on some of their installations.

Message 27 of 29

@Keith_Beddoe 

funny enough the wall the ONT sits on is actually directly below a wall in the office. Maybe they could run it up through the cavity and then I can just run an Ethernet cable round to the side where my desk is. 

what’s the name of the independent companies?

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

That would seen very straightforward.

As for companies, look on Checkatrade for electrical contractors that also do data cabling. Its very similar work, and its usually the electrician that runs internal Ethernet and TV cabling for developers. The quality does vary, with incorrectly wired Ethernet sockets, as the average electrician may not be familiar with data cabling. 

From what you describe, its a simply job, and should be half a days work at the most.

It needs to be a fully wired Ethernet cable and sockets to support 1Gbs.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

UPDATE:

OpenReach engineer came out this morning and installed a new Fibre Modem by taking the cable around the property to the back where my office is situated. 

She said 72 hours for speeds to stabilise however i seem to be getting higher ping on wired (20ms) vs wireless (12ms) which is weird. 

any idea if this we’ll improve on wired?

TIA

0 Ratings