cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

OpenVPN not working with Smarthub 2

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help with an issue I'm having with OpenVPN and my Smarthub 2 router.

I use OpenVPN to access some browser-based systems needed for my job. I connent to OpenVPN and browse to a URL to login. The OpenVPN server-side config is taken care of by sys-admins and I have been using it successfully for years.

However, I recently upgraded my broadband to Full Fibre with BT which included a router upgrade. Since this upgrade, I can no longer browse to the protected URL (when connected to OpenVPN)  - in Chrome I get the following error message

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

However, if I  connect my laptop to a 4G connection and connect to OpenVPN I can access the protected URLs. I  tested it with other wifi connections and have to access everything ok. It just seems to be an issue with the Smarthub 2.

When connected to OpenVPN I can see the entries have been added to my hosts file ok - which makes me think the router is blocking something.

I've looked at numerous message board suggestions but nothing seems to work. I've tried setting up port forwarding using the ports I know we use but this hasn't helped.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: OpenVPN not working with Smarthub 2

Try restarting the hub (Basic - Restart)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply @Les-Gibson - I've been having this issue for a few weeks now and have restarted the hub many times. I gave it one more try for luck... but still the same problem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I've used OpenVPN in the past (albeit in its guise as ipvanish) on my SH2 and it was fine.

The only other thing I can suggest is a factory reset (System) and select the reset option

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thanks @Les-Gibson  - have tried the reset option but still have the same issue.

A work colleague has just upgraded to a Smarthub 2 and is also having the same issue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

There was a recent firmware upgrade to v0.33 which hasn't gone down well with some people, you might want to ask a mod to arrange for a downgrade and see if that helps?

You can check your version here Basic - Status look for the third line down

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I had a similar problem using NordVPN & a 'work supplied' VPN service. Our IT department said that there did seem to be an issue with the SH2 and suggested turning on port clamping. This seemed to work then (at least 2 years ago) and I still don't have any problems with NordVPN. May be worth a try.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Did you get this resolved? I am having the same issue.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I run Wireguard on a Raspberry Pi and have no issues using it with my SH2 once the appropriate port is forwarded. I need to deal with the dynamic dns as I don’t have a static ip.

0 Ratings