cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Openreach ONT with Netgear Orthi RBK 853

Go to solution

I want to replace my Smart Hub with a mesh router with two nodes, running the nodes from a CAT 6 wired network.

I have a five year old Linksys Velop system which I could not get to work with my new Openreach ONT. BT told me the ONT works with PPPoA, but the only option on the Linksys was PPPoE.

I then chatted with a Netgear support operative who told me that the Netgear Orthi RBK850 series supports PPPoA, happy days I thought but I could not find anything in the manual to confirm this, neither could I establish whether it was possible to connect satellites by Ethernet.

Has anyone out there got any experience of such matters and any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Openreach ONT with Netgear Orthi RBK 853

Go to solution

Total nonsense, FTTP is PPPoE.

Generic username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@Stuart_Gowerwrote:

I then chatted with a Netgear support operative who told me that the Netgear Orthi RBK850 series supports PPPoA, happy days I thought but I could not find anything in the manual to confirm this, neither could I establish whether it was possible to connect satellites by Ethernet.

If these are RBS850 satellites for the RBR850 router, then you should be able to use "wired backhaul" to connect then to the router.  It is simply a case of plugging the satellite into the same Ethernet network as router.

The Netgear support site is the best to get help on that. It isn't down to the BT kit and connection. @licquorice has answered your question on that.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for this! It’s a bit of a minefield, in the instruction manual for the £1700 6e router it explicitly states it can be connected to Ethernet but not in the 850 instructions! 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply!  I am confused as to why BT sent me this? 

I am considering buying the Netgear Orthi 850, which the Netgear support operative said speaks PPPoA (the manual doesn’t mention it!) I just hope it all works seamlessly!
IMG_6750.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I don't know what idiot sent you that, but it is totally incorrect.

The settings are as per my previous post.

PPPoA is only used for ADSL, not VDSL or full fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Many thanks! This tech is complicated enough without being given false information!! 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Exactly!!!

0 Ratings