cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Outdoor extender for Wi-Fi on roof terrace (Fibre900 Complete with extender discs)

Hi,

I'm looking to get more reliable outdoor Wi-Fi on a roof terrace (Fibre900 Complete with extender discs) on the below house setup.

My BT Router is in the cupboard on the ground floor, and extends via ethernet cable into a wifi extender disc in the top part of the living/dining room on the First Floor, additionally there is a wifi extender disc in the bottom part of the same room which is right beside the door leading to the stairs to the roof terrace. When I'm up on the roof, there's one small spot (right above the bottom extender disc by the stairs) that I can place a device to get WiFi but it's not very reliable. 

Is there a version of the Wi-Fi extender disc or similar alternative that's suitable for outdoor use that I could plug into the outdoor plug socket on the roof terrace to make it a bit more reliable up there? I can't really run an ethernet cable all the way up there but an extension to the mesh network via WiFi that just requires a plug socket would be great.

50383552076_87a7e8879c_c.jpg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Outdoor extender for Wi-Fi on roof terrace (Fibre900 Complete with extender discs)

@willhowe 

I assume the roof terrace is open to the outside weather?

How have you managed to install a mains socket up there?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Outdoor extender for Wi-Fi on roof terrace (Fibre900 Complete with extender discs)

@Keith_Beddoe  It's a dual outdoor socket a bit like one of the attached, with one socket being used for the outdoor lights

iu.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You should be able to find one online.

There are IP67 (weatherproof) devices available but they're not cheap. At the very least you need IP55 and a sheltered area to site it. Avoid those devices which claim to be for use outdoors but don't have an IP rating

https://www.rm-electrical.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/INGRESS-PROTECTION-REFERENCE-CHART-RM-Techn...

Message 5 of 7

@willhowe wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe  It's a dual outdoor socket a bit like one of the attached, with one socket being used for the outdoor lights

iu.jpeg

You would be very lucky to find anything at a reasonable price, and you would still have to connect it back to your home hub.

Message 6 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks for all the insight - I'd happily pay a ludicrous amount for an 'outdoor' version of the complete wifi disc that's relatively plug and play that just requires the socket - I just don't really want to tear up my house getting an ethernet cable to the roof. Do you think there's anything out there that would work?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Google 'outdoor powerline adaptors'.

0 Ratings