cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: PPPoE timeout on both pfSense and TP-Link AX1500

Tried all the above, no success.. 

I've given up on the TP-Link and returned it - the issue seems further down the line than in my settings - it's impossible that something that is as simple as a lot of people said and done couldn't be achieved on a simple router.. or on pfSense.

There has to be some kind of mac address locking + caching happening on BT side - it's the only explanation I get continuous timeouts on both sides when authentication. Heck, I even connected my mac directly to the ONT and configured PPPoE as well - nothing.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Have you powered the ONT down?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Tried power it down for 30 seconds/1 minute maybe, I have also tried reseting it few times while connected to pfSense.. Tried pfSense off the whole night and then cold boot in the morning - not sure I need also to turn off the ONT for more than few seconds/minutes

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

I have read about the VLAN ID - is this something to try/take into consideration? Some people say it's required, others don't..

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

30 seconds is fine for the ONT. No vlan id needed. It's a real puzzler this one - especially since you can't get a direct connection from the MAC.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@albus7c7 wrote:

I have read about the VLAN ID - is this something to try/take into consideration? Some people say it's required, others don't..

VLAN id of 101 is required but this is a modem function rather than router, so is achieved by the ONT in the case of FTTP but on a combined modem/router in the case of FTTC.

There is nothing on the BT side preventing either the pfSense or TP Link from working.

Are you sure you are entering bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username rather than bthomehub@btinternet.com

Message 17 of 20

@licquorice you wouldn’t believe how many times I have made sure letter by letter I had the right username 😕

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Had to be asked, it's a common sub-conscious mistake.

Message 19 of 20

Another common sense suggestion - have you tried a different Ethernet cable. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Tried quite a few..

I ended up setting up ONT -> SH2 -> pfSense -> LAN

Portforward 1-65K and DMZ pfSense id... this is far from ideal, but got me going with me home setup..

Tried today again.. just in case - same result! 

0 Ratings