cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Parental Controls

Go to solution

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could advise me on alternatives routers I can use with my service other than the Bt smart hub 2? The reason behind me wanting to use a different router is for better parental controls, the parental controls don’t really work for me right now 😐 as soon as the devices go off a new ip address is issued and my son is back online. I really need a router that offers Mac filtering.

Many thanks 😊 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Parental Controls

Go to solution

You can use any router you like as long it is the appropriate type for the service you have.

If you have FTTC, then you will need a VDSL modem/router. If you have full fibre FTTP, you simply need a router.

Bear in mind that if you have Digital Voice you will need to use the BT Smart Hub2

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Good morning, thank you for the response! I have full fibre 500 I do indeed have the digital voice phone however, the phone is never actually used as we have our mobiles so I’m not really bothered if it doesn’t support the phone, as long as the internet fully works 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Mysty 

Bear in mind that MAC filtering will only work if the MAC address of the connected devices does not change. MAC randomisation is a common option on most modern devices, so that tends to defeat any form of applied restrictions.

If you can find a router which only allows connection to a "whitelist" of known MAC addresses which match the true MAC address of a device, then you stand a better chance of it working. Users would not be able to connect unless MAC randomisation was disabled.

The only problem with this is that it involves a lot of  effort in keeping a record of every device, and their MAC address, and each time a new device is added, that needs to be updated, as well as the settings on the router. Even then, if the user of the  "blocked" device manually changes their MAC address to match one on the "whitelist", then they will get access.

MAC address filtering is not really the best option, you would be wasting money, and a lot of time, and achieve nothing in the end.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

If you have no need of Digital Voice, then any router with a PPPoE capable WAN port ( all the mainstream makes and models) will be just fine.

Post crossed with @Keith_Beddoe post.

Also bear in mind, if your kids are tech savvy you will never win.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It seems no matter what you do kids can get around it, it’s really frustrating 😒 Thank you tho I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Defeated 😔 Thank you for you input, appreciate it! 

0 Ratings