cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Permanently Block a Device From Accessing the Internet

Go to solution

Is it possible to permanently block a device from accessing the internet, (how?)?

I have device on my home network that in the future I may want to permanently remove internet access from, but keep it available within the internal network.

I have found the section in the MyBT app to "Control wi-fi access", (slightly confusing because my device is connected by ethernet cable), and proved that "Pause wi-fi access" blocks the device from connecting to the internet as I want. The issue for me at the moment is that it only seems to be possible to block access for up to 24 hours, or for set times each day?

I can see that I can also set a schedule, so is the answer to set it for 7 days a week from 00:00 to 23:59 daily? If so, does that, in theory, mean that it will still be able to connect to the internet for 1 minute each day, (23:59 to midnight)?

Also, does using "Control wi-fi access" also mean that the device in question will be invisible to the internet and that no one would be able to access it from outside my internal network?

*The device in question is a Netgear ReadyNAS 214 server that I understand is no longer supported by Netgear, so I'm assuming that whilst it still works perfectly well for our requirements within the home, it has, or soon will, become a security risk leaving it with internet access?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Permanently Block a Device From Accessing the Internet

Go to solution

@Paul608085 wrote:

Is it possible to permanently block a device from accessing the internet, (how?)?

*The device in question is a Netgear ReadyNAS 214 server that I understand is no longer supported by Netgear, so I'm assuming that whilst it still works perfectly well for our requirements within the home, it has, or soon will, become a security risk leaving it with internet access?

@Paul608085 

Its very simple, on the ReadyNAS, delete the entries for the default gateway and DNS server , or give it a dummy entry. That way it will not be able to access the Internet, but can still access the local network.

You will need to give the NAS a static IP address, like 192.168.1.50 instead of using DHCP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for the reply.

That seems to have worked! (I'm assuming that where it says "Router" on the ReadyNAS's GUI is the same as "default gateway" that you said?).

As well as preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the internet, will this also prevent all external access to it from outside my home network?

The ReadyNAS has always had a static IP address on my home network.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Paul608085 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for the reply.

As well as preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the internet, will this also prevent all external access to it from outside my home network?

The ReadyNAS has always had a static IP address on my home network.

Yes it will stop it any connections, assuming you do not have any incoming ports mapped to it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

"assuming you do not have any incoming ports mapped to it."

Does that mean Port Forwarding on the SmartHub2? (Which I don't have enabled).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Paul608085 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

"assuming you do not have any incoming ports mapped to it."

Does that mean Port Forwarding on the SmartHub2? (Which I don't have enabled).

Yes.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for your help with this 😃

0 Ratings