cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Phone line socket in new build with FTTP

Go to solution

I've got a new build and the internet is via a FTTP modem, however below that is a phone socket.

I've opened it and can see that it's got an ethernet cable that's being used for phones.

Where would this cable be connected? I thought I would have a digital line, but this socket exists as well as 3 more in my house.

Which one would be the master?

The other 3 have 2 cables behind them so I assume they're daisy chaining back to the first one near the FTTP modem.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone line socket in new build with FTTP

Go to solution

Is it possible that they're connections for Digital Voice (VoIP) phones? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Simplest thing is to ask the developer. If you have FTTP it is extremely unlikely you will have a copper Voice service, you will have Digital Voice. The BT hub is a DECT base station as well as router. The sockets are superfluous.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485 for information about DV

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

So what is that socket connected to?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Check with the developer, but there isn’t in effect a master socket , if you have several phone extension sockets in various rooms , they could be ‘daisy chained’ together, so extension 1 is connected to extension 2 , extension 2 connects to extension 3 ( you wouldn’t necessarily know which is the first extension ) , or they could be individually wired back to a common point , in some respects it doesn’t matter , with ADSL/VDSL incorrectly or poorly wired extensions connected to the copper pair into the property, can impact broadband performance, with FTTP it’s irrelevant, you don’t have a copper pair, the master socket was the demarcation point , than is now the ONT.

If you are taking DV with your FTTP broadband, you may be able to incorporate these extension sockets by connecting the router phone port into one , and using the others , but would only be of use if you intended to use wired ‘landline’ phones , or wanted to use cordless , but not use the SH2 as the DECT base station and have your own base station located away from the router

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It's not connected to anything, the developer installed the sockets without understanding how DV works.

If you had a copper service, the incoming copper line would have been connected to the first socket and daisy chained to the others.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Ok that makes sense.

What I'm thinking of doing is converting them all to ethernet ports, but I'm not sure if the socket by the modem is connected directly to the ONT.

If it is I don't think I can convert that one, correct?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

You can convert them to Ethernet but if you do, you can't daisy chain them so they can only be used as point to point links.

They are currently not being used at all for anything.

You can either connect the ONT to the first converted socket with a patch cable and then connect your hub to the second socket or you can leave the hub and ONT co located adjacent to the first socket and connect one of the hub LAN ports to the first socket and an Ethernet conected device to the second socket.