cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Ping spikes

@Davosi 

WiFi Analysers are also available as apps on mobile phones.

There are quite a few available in the app stores, they are mostly very similar to each other - often it is just the way the information is shown on the phone's screen differs between apps.

I use "WiFi Analyzer" on Android.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Hi Paul, 

I’m not sure it’s just a WiFi issue, any sort of streaming  causes the problem. Mostly videos but my partner was just scrolling a clothing shop with pictures and that was causing spikes as well. Really not doing anything internet heavy. Totally at a loss. I’m now trying to switch over to EE to try their new router as it has more controls on it apparently.  I will still get a WiFi analyser just in case it helps 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

@Davosi 

It might be better to install a WiFi Analyzer app on a phone or tablet before changing ISPs or getting a new router etc.

You could be suffering from WiFi interference from your neighbours if they are close by. If that is the case, then changing ISPs or router is unlikely to resolve the issue.

Also, bear in mind that your problem could have more than one cause, and therefore require more than one solution to completely resolve it.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Okay? Do you have a recommended one? 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

As per my Message #11, I use "WiFi Analyzer" on Android.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

I also use "WiFi Analyzer" but on Windows.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

The issue I’m having still occurs even with my pc being hardwired into the router. I run my ping test and have Netflix going and the ping spike up to roughly 40- 200ms. So it can’t just be a WiFi issue. Something else must be going on. And I know streaming services require a lot of bandwidth, but this was never an issue before. Even playing a 6 second video on Instagram reels causes the issue, or general web page browsing. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

What connection method was your wife using WiFi or ethernet when browsing the shop?

I was under the impression that the EE router is the same as the one BT were going to supply basically a revised version of the SH2 so may have the same issues. I agree with @Paul608085 try the WiFi Analyzer first and see if there is anything interfering before  swapping ISP. 

I know with ethernet a faulty ethernet card could saturate the ethernet with corrupt frames causing everything to slow or stop (less likely with TP ethernet though) so a shared medium like WiFi could perhaps suffer the same.  The fact other users have reported almost identical issues with the SH2 on that version of firmware makes it highly likely to me that it is a bug/feature of the firmware.  If the problem only appears when WiFi is active, then 2 obvious options are:

1) Use a different hub/router (as per message #4) - not easy if you use DV

2) Set up a WiFi Access point or Mesh and disable WiFi on the SH2 until the firmware is fixed

0 Ratings