cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Powerline adapter capping at 100mbps down

I have the TP-LINK 2000Mbps TL-PA9020PKIT. For the past few years I have only been getting about 70mbps down and 20 up on FTTC and the powerline adapters where as fast as if I was plugged into my network switch directly. But we have just had installed FTTP 1000Mbps down and 130mbps up. The powerline adapter to my PC is capping around 120mbps down and 90up. What is the reason for this? I have read on other forums people with the same adapters getting the speed they paid for on Virgin and BT. I have never seen gigabit but people with internet of like 350-500mbps seem to be achieving the speeds.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Powerline adapter capping at 100mbps down

@aaronf 

Are you now using a different BT Home Hub, or are you still using your original Smart Hub 2 in the FTTP mode?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

@aaronf 

The speed you get is totally dependent on your mains circuitry so you can't compare to other users really.

I believe that the TP-Links can be adjusted for interference which can improve things, think @Keith_Beddoe know a lot more about this.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

I am using the smart hub 2 I already had and the engineer put it into FTTP and setup the digital voice. I did want to use my own router but digital voice is a pain. Weird one, yesterday I was only getting 40mbps download connected directly via ethernet and about 380mbps down on wireless. I will have a look again today and see if it has improved. 

Is there an issue with me using the Smart hub 2 I had in FTTC and now FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

if you have your own router - you could try using that temporarily in lieu of the BT Hub and checking speeds with that.

As others have said so, power line adapters are subject to the vagaries of your domestic wiring.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@TimCurtis wrote:

@aaronf 

The speed you get is totally dependent on your mains circuitry so you can't compare to other users really.

I believe that the TP-Links can be adjusted for interference which can improve things, think @Keith_Beddoe know a lot more about this.

That would only affect FTTC, not FTTP. Its more likely that there is an issue with the adapters negotiating the wrong speed with the  router. A very common issue.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

How would I resolve that? Just turning them both off and back on again?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@aaronf wrote:

How would I resolve that? Just turning them both off and back on again?

Which router are you using at the moment, is it the Smart Hub 2?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Yes I am. I would like to use my own router but with the Digital voice that isn't possible. At the moment the old phone line is still receiving and making calls. But the openreach enginner told me that BT would turn it off in a few days. I was wondering if it would be possible for BT to cancel that change?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

There seems to be a common issue with the Smart Hub 2 where it fails to auto-negotiate the correct speed and duplex mode with certain hardware devices.

Its an issue between mismatched Ethernet interfaces, especially at high speeds, where the Ethernet link pulse is very short.

Look up Duplex Mismatch on Google.

Do you have a spare gigabit Ethernet switch that you can connect between the home hub and the Powerline adapter Ethernet ports, as that normally sorts it out?

0 Ratings