cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Public IP - Port forwarding not working.

I'm trying to set up something that connects to ports 9001 & 30303. I've recently switched to BT from VM, because VM wouldn't allow this.

Seems i'm having the same issue with BT. I've used the hub given and my own third party hub (asus rt-ac86u) with no luck. the port forward settings are all correct, Upnp disabled, the wan ip show on the router does not match what is listed when checking sites like yougetsignal, and the site still claims the ports are closed when checked.

I've been racking my head over this for a while, read so many things and it always boils down to the ISP not offering Public wan IPs, but getting told you can request one, then contacting the ISP they normally have no clue what i'm talking about.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Public IP - Port forwarding not working.

I didn't think BT used CGNAT, but that might have changed.

Check if your public IP at https://www.whatsmyip.org/ and the one your hub reports are the same.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I'm not certain if BT do, i should have been clearer. it was an issue with VM, hence the change to BT.

Checking that site, and many others, the WAN ip does not match.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hmm, it would appear that BT have started implementing CGNAT then.

The only way to avoid that is with a business account and obtain a static IP address. I can't see how BT can offer you a non CGNATed dynamic address.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Well thats a serious pain in the backside.

So not much i can do unless i fork out a load more money for a business account. Thanks anyway, at least i know where i stand. Time to look down the VPN port forwarding route instead.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Happy to take a look at this is you drop me a message.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @licquorice et al,

We've confirmed with broadband network design that we do not use CGNAT on Consumer Broadband lines .

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the confirmation David, I didn't think BT did

@llanrog  I assume you are not using a VPN

0 Ratings