cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Re: Fastest DNS on BT FTTP

Go to solution

Hi Clayma, did you get anywhere with using openDNS ?  I am just about to use openDNS on my Smart HUB 2. There are a number of DNS providers in the drop down menu openDNS not being one of them. Any advice on your experience would be welcome.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @mikeLoft 

I am just about to use openDNS on my Smart HUB 2.

The SH2 doesn't allow you to change DNS provider (no BT hub does, AFAIK) - are you maybe looking at the drop-down on the Dynamic DNS configuration page?

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi ptrduffy,

Yes, that's correct and the drop down doesn't give openDNS as an option. However, I may be wrong but I understood that the SH2 would allow you to use a DNS so that the dynamic IP address they provide could be changed to a domain 'name' so that access to my home network would be not be effected by periodic new IP addresses.

I chose openDNS because they are owned by Cisco and may be more secure than others !  (including the ones on their list !!) - probably a mistake.

As you can probably tell I'm no expert !!

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I've moved your posts to start a new thread. The thread you posted on was a completely different subject regarding DNS servers and not about Dynamic DNS services to track your dynamic IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@mikeLoft 

Yes you are referring to DDNS (Dynamic DNS). I was not aware that OpenDNS provided host names, they just provide web filtering/logging and the feature just keeps it tracking your IP address.

I use No-IP which works very well, with a fast update of IP address, as I often swap between ADSL and 4G. No-IP have a range of different host names.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@mikeLoft 

You appear to be confusing DNS with DDNS. What you're referring to is DDNS.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, that's correct and the drop down doesn't give openDNS as an option. However, I may be wrong but I understood that the SH2 would allow you to use a DNS so that the dynamic IP address they provide could be changed to a domain 'name' so that access to my home network would be not be effected by periodic new IP addresses.

The use-case you outline is (as others have pointed out) called Dynamic DNS, or DDNS.  OpenDNS does not, to my knowledge, provide a DDNS solution, although they do provide a mechanism to inform DDNS providers when your dynamic IP address changes.  This, however, is unlikely to be of any use to you as the SH2 doesn't support it (as you have seen).

If you want to access your home network using a consistent domain name, and you want to keep using the SH2, then you would need to sign up for DDNS service with one of the providers the SH2 supports.  These will provide you with a domain name which maps to your IP address, with the SH2 updating them when your IP address changes.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
thank you
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks.

DNS vs DDNS a bit embarrassing 😲.

I'll pick one of the preferred DDNS - as I should have done!! and trust that they are secure.

0 Ratings