cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: Smart Hub vs Smart Hub 2

Full Fibre 100 and Digital Voice working fine now for nearly 6 months. No glitches apart from one dropped phone call.

However, there is a but. This relates to Smart Hub 2 configuration. I note that a similar post has now been closed by moderator so I am using this as my only vehicle to make the point.

As an ex-IT professional I use and support friends with multiple devices of all ages and have come across a problem with some older devices which although capable of 5GHz wireless will not connect to SH2 on the 5GHz band. I was previously able to split the two bands and give them different SSIDs so overcoming such connection issues and giving me much better speeds (particularly downloading). SH2 doesn't allow for band splitting and separate IDs. It is said that this is due to their being designed for use with BTs Extender discs. Is this really the case or will BT ever consider users such as myself who need the splitting facility (and possibly don't want or need extenders)?

Having taken Digital Voice I appear to be tied to SH2 and the only option appears to be to use an older hub (connected to the SH2 via my auxiliary switch) to provide my wifi. Not a good solution for a poor BT pensioner!!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I have moved your post onto its own thread because the one you posted on was marked as solved.

If your 2.4GHz devices can not connect you should try turning off the 5GHz then connect your device to the 2.4GHz and once connected turn the 5GHz back on.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

If some of the devices are older then try in addition to what @gg30340 suggested change the wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I would recommend using a repurposed router as a wireless point. It’s simple to set up and there are plenty of how to guides on how to do it. That way there is no need to change your SH2 or lose digital voice. You can then turn off wireless on the SH2 if you want.

0 Ratings