cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Recommendations for VDSL router to replace SH2

So now I know I need a new router that might actually work, can people recommend a good VDSL router that works with FTTC broadband. 

Must be good for gaming and conferencing and have good wifi coverage but must NOT be a TP Link. 

Thank in advance. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Recommendations for VDSL router to replace SH2

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Yeah looks nice, but finding a stockist is proving the hard part. 

I will go with ASUS once I can find a stockist ! OTHER than ebuyer too, as they are awful. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

To be honest, there are no decent ADSL/VDSL modem/routers available anymore from people other than TP Link. 

I've looked at ASUS, D-Link, Draytek etc, and most are either discontinued, refurbished, or just not available. 

Looks like im stuck with the awful SmartHub 2 until full fibre to the house is available , which could be anytime in the next 2 decades. 

And the SH2 is just awful for gaming tbh, the lag at times is unreal. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

@LeVzi 

What do you find wrong with Asus devices. I've always found them to be superb.

There are some pre-owned DSL-Ac68U ones on eBay which should be ok as mine is still rock solid after about 8 years.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Are you using a lan cable? If you're serious about lag and you're using WiFi you need to have a word with yourself.

Message 7 of 16

Surely you mean a modem and router or  modem router combination. 

I've switched to a draytek modem and a deco mesh router to replace the sh2 over a v.Fast connection .

Works well at a cost. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

It's just availability , I cannot find any in stock new. 

If I buy second hand, I cannot get any warranty with it tbh. 

Nothing against the brand at all, I just think they are moving towards the Full Fibre routers. Once we get full fibre here I will move over to that too, so don't really wanna pay the earth for something now. 

Maybe refurbished or used will do. But I can't guarantee when they will put full fibre to the house in.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I think you need to have a word with yourself, I can game perfectly fine with a T9UH adapter, with latency of 1ms max 9ms even on the SH2 . 

So you obviously have never had a good wifi adapter. 

I am competitive on COD no lag issues, especially when I was using a TP Link router (QoS and 5Ghz band) 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Yeah modem/router combo, I have been looking at Draytek too, are they good ? I know nothing of their quality tbh. 

0 Ratings