cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Removing old Wiring

I want to remove some cabling that meanders around the house but am a little unsure about going about it.

The photo shows the opened up box in front of my house. The black cable is definitely the BB cable and I think the white wire on the far right is the telephone wire.

The one in the middle is, I think, a cable for an old ADSL line which is no longer needed and this is the one I want to remove.  What are the implications in cutting this wire at this end or somewhere along the long wire that meanders up the stairs, over doors and into a room.

Junction BoxJunction Box

I'm guessing Openreach would want an arm and a leg to pay a site visit and uninstall the cables in a proper manner.

Perhaps there's another way

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Removing old Wiring

Difficult to tell from the photo, but looks to me that the incoming line (the black cable) is crimped to the grey cable which will be your broadband and phone. The 2 white cables don't appear to be connected to anything.

Perhaps you could untangle the wires and take another photo.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

are you currently a BT broadband customer and if so is your broadband FTTC or full fibre FTTP?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

It is difficult to tell , TBH , my ‘take’ on this is different, I think the grey cable in the centre of the BT 66 block is the incoming ‘feed’ cable a the grey jacket cable typically is  an armoured cable , and it’s 2nd pair green/black ( AFAIK blue orange is the first pair ) , is crimped to the black cable ( presumably this goes to the master socket ) black &green ( feed ) to orange and white ( to socket ) , are any of the wires within the 2 white internal type cables actually connected to anything ? , if not they obviously can be removed without affecting anything, or perhaps tease out the wiring and take a new photo so it’s clearer what’s connected and what isn’t .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Either way, it looks as though the grey and black cables are carrying the service and the white cables are superfluous.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes, I’m currently a BT BB customer, not full fibre sadly

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, need an engineer really don’t I
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

You probably don't need an engineer, just a little more confidence. Check the small wires that come out the end of the white cables in the box, if none are connected as has been suggested then you can carefully just remove the white cables from the box - no cutting required.

It is highly likely that the BB and telephone use the same cables and you have a faceplate that splits the two, or a filter that does so.  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hi @hannes 

If this is equipment that is no longer active then you can reach out to OpenReach and they will be able to come and assess getting this removed.

Lesley

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@hannes wrote:

Yes, I’m currently a BT BB customer, not full fibre sadly

if you have FTTC then is the incoming grey/black cable not supplying your line for broadband?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings