cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Replacement homehub 2 has not solved my locking-up problem

So for the past couple of months my homehub2 just seems to lock up at random times so that only a restart (and occastionally a hard reset) fixes it.

I say "lock up" cos the router itself looks fine (blue light etc) but is unresponsive. Not only do I lose internet access via wifi AND ethernet, but I can't even get to the router homepage via connecting my laptop via ethernet to the router.

Apart from being annoying, restarting means I get allocated a new IP, and that means I get locked out of my whitelisted work machine.

All round, this is not good, so I requested a new box last week. To be fair to BT, I got it the next day, but after 3 days exactly the same thing has happened again!

I checked the logs, but there is nothing I can discern as an error except that there is no logging between  shortly after I went to bed last night until after I reset the box this morning. 

Any ideas?

p.s. Tried to speak to someone on the message chat just now, but it's telling me my phone number isn't recognised!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Replacement homehub 2 has not solved my locking-up problem

@shapeshifter 

Lockups are normally be caused by an Ethernet loopback condition. What devices do you have connected to the Ethernet ports on the home hub? Powerline adapters are the most common cause of lockup.

Message 3 of 18

I have an 8-port switch going into the homehub. On the other end I have an LG TV, bt tv box (which itself often locks up, tbh), marantz av receiver, sony 4k blu ray player and nvidia shield tv.

I also have an HD drive connected to the homehub, but that's been there a long time, as has most of the above.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Just a thought but when you changed the Hub did you also change the PSU?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

yes, I used the new one.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Also, along the lines of @rbz5416 's just a thought, have you ensured you have left plenty of space around the SH2 as overheating can also be a cause of lock-ups. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

lots. it's not on the floor by where it connects to the wall. It's on a table. In fact, on top of an empty plant pot on table so it's not even got (much) underneath it. Nowhere near any source of heat either.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

@shapeshifter 

Got any Apple devices or visitors who have?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Christ no! Never.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

I have an 8-port switch going into the home hub

Provided you only have one port from the home hub connected to the 8 port switch, it should be fine.  Make sure there are no devices that can access both Ethernet and wireless at the same time, as they can cause a loop. On the LG TV, make sure wireless is turned off if you are using Ethernet.

0 Ratings