cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Router connection

Go to solution

Hi, I am in the process of having BT broadband installed. The engineer has fitted a new single outlet master socket and the cable supplied with the router doesn't seem to fit. Do I need a microfilter and should this have been supplied? The system is broadband only, no phone.

The cable to the house is in need of repair so I am waiting for that to happen but thought I would connect the internal equipment.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Router connection

Go to solution

For broadband only, a filter isn't actually required but it is the normal way to convert a phone socket to RJ 11 if you don't have a filtered master socket with phone and broadband outlets separate.

You either need a filter or RJ11 - BT 431A lead.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @PXW and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting. What colour is the cable you've been given? It sounds like an ethernet cable but please confirm.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I suspect it is RJ11 - RJ11 rather than RJ11 - BT431a

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

What service have you signed up for? A single outlet master socket sounds odd as I thought the NTE5 with Mk4 faceplate was standard these days. That has an RJ11 & BT socket.

A pic of the socket & cable would help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Thanks for the reply. I have got internet only, I received two cables, the one shown and an ethernet cable.

socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

No idea why that faceplate has been fitted,

As said previously, with no telephone you don't need a microfilter but if you have one kicking around, that will do the job. But I'd get on to BT & ask for the correct faceplate to be fitted. as it will be much neater. If Openreach are working outside see if you can get them to change it. It's a two minute job but it may need to be booked for inventory reasons.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thank, I'll do that.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply, the problem has been resolved by RBZ5416 thread.
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know this is sorted @PXW .

Cheers

David

0 Ratings