cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Router upgrade

Hi Guys, I recently swopped to BT fibre so was sent the home hub 2 which doesn't allow me to use my BT whole home disks (the white ones)

I know I could purchase the complete WiFi disks (The black ones) but I haven't had my other disks long so don't really want to have to spend out again on disks.

I have been looking at buying the TP-LINK Archer AX20 as I have read the performance on that is a lot better then the BT home hub 2 which to be fair isn't great, WiFi is very poor and the speed fluctuates a lot. Will the TP-LINK Archer AX20 allow me to connect my whole home disks to it, as I read the whole home disks work with any router ? Id rather try to confirm it tho before buying the TP-LINK Archer AX20.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Router upgrade

No reason why you can't use the white discs with your hub, they just won't mesh with it the same as with any other router used with them that's all.

Message 3 of 9

@Nick-B 

There is nothing to stop you using the white discs exactly as you did before, by connecting one disc to an Ethernet port on the Smart Hub 2, and then turning off the wireless on the SH2.

The only thing the white discs cannot do, is to pair with the SH2.

Message 4 of 9

To answer one question you may have - would Complete WiFi be any good? - for me it has been a complete success. SH2 and one black disc gives me good WiFi all over a 50' wide two storey house. Can't fault it at all.
Message 6 of 9

Thank you I was told the white discs wouldn't work with the smart hub 2 I'm sure when I connected one to the router it wouldn't connect I'll give it a try again tonight when I get home. Altho I have looked at other forum threads about this and on there it says the white discs are incompatible with the smart hub 2. Can I ask what you mean by they won't mesh the same as with other routers sorry that's probably a silly question but this is all pretty new to me

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

A mesh system is where all the separate wifi sources seamlessly hand over to each other as you move around with your device. The black discs integrate with the SH2 and form a mesh, the white discs form their own discrete mesh network independent of the router. Hence it is common to turn off the wifi on the prime router rather than have 2 SSIDs.

Message 8 of 9

Thank you, that information is great. I shall attempt to connect it again tonight and see if i can get it to work and report back many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I have reconnected the whole home discs and they have connected, the problem I'm having now is the speeds are really slow. I have BT 500 so 500mbps download and 75mbps upload the upload speed is pretty much ok I'm getting about 72mbps the download speeds are the problem now I seem to only be getting 90mbps and that's with me in the room where the first disc is connected to the router. I have never actually had 500mbps download every speed test I have ever done has only just about hit 290mbps yet when I do the speed test on BT it says I'm getting the full speeds.

I now seem to be getting even slower speeds with the discs altho now atleast I get WiFi in more then one room am I doing something wrong.

0 Ratings