cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

SMART HUB 2 CONFIGURATION

I currently have a BT Smart Hub 2 mesh network with no less than five discs and find that there are still dead spots due to the property being circa 3,500 square feet over two floors.

In an attempt to improve WiFi coverage, I am planning to install my own router (Netgear Nighthawk)  and am looking at how best to integrate it into  my network using the Smart Hub 2 as a modem/Access Point only.

Having carried out some preliminary research, it seems to me that I should disable the WiFi gateway on the Smart Hub 2 as there does not appear to be a setting to enable Bridge Mode.

Any comments much appreciated……

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: SMART HUB 2 CONFIGURATION

There is no bridge mode on the SH2.

It is not clear what your intentions are with regard to the discs and whether they are the white Whole Home or black Complete WiFi discs.

Unless you wish to use Digital Voice or the discs are black Complete WiFi, there is no need to use the SH2 at all

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

I believe this is only possible on the Business version of the SH2 after doing a quick Google search but I could be wrong.
The experts will soon get back to you, though.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for your response.

I intend to remove all of the black discs and use the Smart Hub 2 as a modem/access point only since the new router has sufficient coverage for the entire property (we shall see!).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is also my understanding for the domestic Smart Hub 2. However, it is possible to turn off WiFi mode and I was wondering whether this would be sufficient in lieu of bridge mode not being available?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

I would check coverage by the Netgear unconnected to anything before making any wholesale changes to your setup. If a hub and 5 discs can't provide coverage, i would be extremely surprised if a single third party router will do.

As stated, do you need the SH2 at all, and if you do, why not still use its wifi to give extra coverage.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

It’s the Nighthawk RS700 which claims up to 3500 square feet. https://www.netgear.com/hub/network/nighthawk-rs700-wifi-7-router/

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hmm, what they claim and reality are not always the same thing. Note the 'up to 3500 square ft'

Bear in mind Wifi power is regulated in this country and all devices emit the same power, the only area for tweaking is in aerial design.

Message 9 of 15

I would have to agree with Licquorice.

One of the first things you learn in IT is that manufacturer’s claims mean naff all.  For a start, they are usually under ideal laboratory test conditions and then there are all sorts of maths at work that the average user doesn’t understand.  So long as they can justify the claim in court, they can get away with it.  It’s like a car manufacturer saying it will do 140mph.  In reality, road conditions mean you are never going to see anything like that except on a test track.

Netgear are a good make but I would take the claim with a pinch of salt.

Message 10 of 15

@licquoricewrote:

I would check coverage by the Netgear unconnected to anything before making any wholesale changes to your setup.

This. Download a WiFi analyser & note the signal level in each room that requires coverage with your existing setup. Then turn off the WiFi on the SH2, power up the Netgear & repeat. That will give you a good idea of whether it's going to be up to the job without the pain of setting it up.

But I also think that unless the SH2 &/or disks are faulty, a single device won't cut it. Generally speaking a lower spec mesh system will give better coverage than than a single device.