cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: SMART HUB 2 CONFIGURATION

Thanks for your reply and I shall see how it goes and possibly add an extender or two to the new router. It’s a little like my Fiat 500e with a claimed mileage of 199 which differs somewhat from my experience, being 160ish.

That being said, I shall also see whether disabling WiFi on the SH2 will enable it to act as a modem/access point.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

It also might be worth some time to try and optimise your disc placement.  Paradoxically, too many discs can be as bad as too few for a mesh (as they interfere with each other).  I'm in an old flat which is ~2,500 sq ft on one level, and I get good coverage with 2 discs - and the property has thick solid brick walls - so 5 seems like a lot.

If your property has solid walls, then propagation through the floor/ceiling is probably better than through walls, so think of the property as a set of vertical rather than horizontal areas and try to set the discs up to cover those.

Message 13 of 15

@rossowheels wrote:

That being said, I shall also see whether disabling WiFi on the SH2 will enable it to act as a modem/access point.

No idea what you mean by that, turning off wifi just simply turns off the wifi.

Not wishing to be rude, but I'm not sure your knowledge of networking is up to the task in hand.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

What you say is true and BT sent a consultant to review my existing set up and concluded that this was the best they could do. BT even credited me with £100 because their Whole Home Mesh system could not cover the entire property!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

@rossowheelswrote:

possibly add an extender or two to the new router.

If you really mean extender then that's usually a poor choice, you want a mesh system. I don't know if the Netgear you're intent on buying has mesh capability, but if not I'd look elsewhere.

What service do you have, FTTP or FTTC?

Also as has been said previously, if you're not or will be using DV, you can ditch the SH2 completely. On FTTP you can just implement a mesh system directly off the ONT. If FTTC, you'll need a mesh enabled router with inbuilt modem or purchase a VDSL modem to feed a mesh system.

0 Ratings