cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Slow broadband speed with full fiber using powerline adapter

I can only get 54mbps down 44 up with powerline adapter although the hub is rated at 947/111 using speedtester in BT app. I have checked the network adapter and it is set at Gigabit.

The powerlines are TP-Link dual band gigabit AC1200 powerline adapters. I would appreciate any solutions for improving speeds.  I cannot run direct cabling.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Slow broadband speed with full fiber using powerline adapter

Maybe try another pair of adaptors? Haven’t used any for a while but in my experience they gave a lot closer to full speed than what you seem to be getting. See if you can borrow any from friends or family to give it a try.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

First of all powerline adapters never achieve their advertised speeds in the real world. Secondly, they are only as good as your electrical wiring

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Make sure they're plugged directly into sockets & not into adapters or extensions.

Google reviews of the adapters you have for an idea of real world achievable speeds but they will be nowhere near the 900Mb of your connection.

Although I'm a little confused by you testing through the BT "app"? What device are you using to test with & how is it connected?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Both adaptors directly into sockets. Speed tester is in my bt app. I'm sure that there would be an appreciable speed drop but not from 900 to 50. One of the adaptors is new. And all ethernet cables as well.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

Again, My BT running on what? App implies a phone or tablet.

But here's an idea of what you might realistically expect:

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/719309/tp-link-av1000-gigabit-powerline-kit-review.html

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

My BT app on android phone it has a link to test router speed, it not entirely sure how but I'm assuming it logs into router and runs test of speed to the router, not what it delivers. I'm testing actual received speeds with the speedtest app on both moby and pc.  On moby wifi standing next to router speed is @300 mbps, next to adaptors @60mbps. Pc via power line @55 mbps.

I would be happy with the likely achievable speeds as seen in techadvuser review but in a similar scenario eg Victorian house I am getting nowhere near the same speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Can you test them side by side in the same double socket?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Have done when first set up, same speeds. 

I'm not sure that the poor speed can be totally laid at powerlines, I connected a laptop directly to the router and could only get 100mbps but I couldn't change the ethernet adapter speed to gigabit. The laptop via WiFi is in the 300 range.

The powerline that achieves best speed is further away from router and on a different circuit.

I have logged into router management console and the gigabit ethernet ports appear to be set to 1000mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Are all of your ethernet cables Cat 5e? Should be printed on the sleeve & you should be able to see all eight wires connected to the RJ45 connectors.

Does the laptop ethernet port definitely support 1Gb? If it does I'd start by trying to find two cables that will give you a 1Gb connection & then try those cables with the adapters.

I

0 Ratings