cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: Slow broadband speed with full fiber using powerline adapter

• Yep all new cat 5e router to powerline adapter, cat 6 to pc and music server, I have tried swapping these around an other cables with no difference 
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

I'd concentrate on getting a 1Gb connection direct to the router first. Goggle the laptop chipset & make sure it's 1Gb capable & update drivers. Or do you have a cable that will reach to the PC temporarily?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

Reckon I'd need a 25 m cable to reach pc. The laptop in adapter properties, speed does not have a gigabit toggle it's got 10 and 100 various duplex options and automatic. I'm not sure if it's capable of updateable.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

Not sure what else to suggest in that case. Could you borrow another laptop?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Bought a cable, will get Wednesday. Will report back.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

I suspect the problem will be due to your electrical wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

I was reading this thread because I similarly often seem to have quite slow speeds through my adapters (BT mini connectors) and it got me wondering, is there a way (other than with the adapters) to test if the electrical circuit will adequately support a decent connection?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

Unfortunately the transmission characteristics of your home wiring will be constantly changing, as electrical devices are turned on and off, so its not possible to measure anything.

The fact that Powerline devices work at all, is quite an achievement.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

@Arthur_Brayne 

Not really. As we're doing here, first thing is to verify a good connection direct to the router. Then test the adapters in adjacent sockets. If you get good speeds there then everything else is down to the mains wiring. All you can really do is avoid extension leads, especially those with surge protection.

If you need a high speed connection then consider paying someone to run a discrete ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Tested today with direct ethernet cat 6. On the "My BT mobile app" it states speed to the hub as 852 down 111 up.

Tested speeds to PC using various-

Speedtest Windows app  ranges between 63 Down/23 Up and 335Down/30Up 6 tests in 15 minute window

Google internet speedtest varies between  63/36 and 240/40 again same window

Other speedtesters show roughly the  same speeds and variances.

The WiFi from the Powerline in the same room as PC is still around mid 50 down 40 up.

This unfortunately raises some other questions....

Why is there such a variation in speeds over ethernet?

Why is there such a differential between headline hub speeds and what is received at PC?

Is the current performance over ethernet acceptable considering the rated hub speed?

Previously the hub was located in the same room as pc (copper phone cable) and I was getting a rock solid 280/45 as was expected from the previous setup, have now gone full fibre and the speeds appear much reduced even with direct ethernet.

I would have expected better from direct cabling. Any ideas anyone?

0 Ratings