cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Slow wifi

Good evening ladies and gents 

I’ve had 500mb Fttp installed today. From the hub I’m getting 520mb download, 70Mb upload via Ethernet. My issue is wifi speed. No matter what I try, I can’t get more than 200mb download, 45mb upload via wifi. I have tried connecting to the hub via 5Ghz only, but this makes no difference. I also have a couple of white discs. If I connect to those, I get the same max speed of 200mb down, 45mb up. I have switched those discs off but this makes no difference. Any ideas on a resolution to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow wifi

@Finkfan77 

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps
Message 3 of 10

Ah ok, got it @Keith_Beddoe Thanks for your help.  Glad it’s not something amiss somewhere 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

My hub was capping upload speed to 50Mbps per device, only noticed because when I plugged in a different router it shot straight up to 70Mbps.

I got in touch with support on livechat I think, or called can't remember, they removed the cap for me.

Something to do with DSL limits (makes no sense to me but yeah).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

My Smart Hub 2 was able to hit about 450Mbps on the download and full upload speed (70Mbps after they removed the cap on my hub), with an iPhone 11.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I’ve just tested again and I just hit 250Mbs down 69Mbs up. I’m using an iPhone 12. My laptop gives similar results. The laptop, as well as some other devices, do get full speeds when hard wired, 512Mbs down 70Mbs up 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

From Apple:  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/dep268652e6c/web

There is also info about iPads on the same link.

Wi-Fi specifications for iPhone 11 and later models

The table below details the Wi-Fi specifications for the iPhone 11 and later models listed in the above table.

802.11 standard, name, frequencyMaximum PHY data rateMaximum channel bandwidthMaximum MCS indexMaximum spatial streams

ax - 5GHz

1200 Mbps

80MHz

11 (HE)

2/MIMO

ac - 5GHz

866 Mbps

80MHz

9 (VHT)

2/MIMO

a/n - 5GHz

300 Mbps

40MHz

7 (HT)

2/MIMO

ax - 2.4GHz

195 Mbps

20MHz

9 (HE)

2/MIMO

b/g/n - 2.4GHz

144 Mbps

20MHz

7 (HT)

2/MIMO

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Ok. So according to that, I should be getting the full 500Mbs to my iPhone. I’ll monitor it over the next few days. It is quicker today than yesterday. Might try a factory reset on the Hub to see if that helps 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

You need to determine if the problem is the link speed (Phy) or download speed from a speed test site.

The Hub2 is certainly capable of 866M Phy speed as I have posted many times.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

As @licquorice says, the speeds in that table are just the PHY data rate (the speed at which the hub sends data to/from all its connected devices).  Download rates to your device can be significantly lower than that due to numerous reasons.

As an example, I'm writing this on a Macbook Pro which shows it's connected to the hub at 866 Mbps (802.11ac).  Download on fast.com is 220 Mbps.

My android mobile phone next to me is connected at 780 Mbps.  Download on fast.com is 180 Mbps.

Just for fun I tried reloading fast.com on  both at the same time: Mac download 150Mbps; phone download 110 Mbps.

I wouldn't bother factory resetting your router, the WiFi speeds you're seeing are perfectly normal.