cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Slow wifi

I have a BT Smart Hub which is delivering very slow WiFi.  I have restarted the device a number of times, to no avail and am considering a factory reset as a last resort. Before I do, is there anything else I can do that might address the issue?  I have to admit to not being technically savvy!

I have booked an Open reach engineer to visit next week, but I'm keen to get it resolved before then, if at all possible.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Slow wifi

If you have customisations that would be a pain to set up again after a factory reset then remember to go into advanced settings and back your configuration up. When your hub restarts you can then restore your configuration complete with customisations the easy way.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

@Marsh1969 

What fibre connection are you on and what are your connection stats from the SH2?

What device(s) are experiencing the slow speeds and are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Personally I turn off the 5GHz band as I prefer the range of the 2.4 band and my connection speed is around 48mbps so there's no speed advantage of 5GHz.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Hi Tim

Thank you for your response.

I'm running a BT Hub6 - though I'm not sure what fibre connection I'm on.

I ran a Google speed test and my download speed on my phone and laptop is 1.68, whilst upload is 9.09, so there's clearly an issue.  I checked my BT tariff and our package is for unlimited and is supported by the connection guarantee.  I've changed nothing in my settings of late, though we have been away on holiday, so wifi has been inactive for a week or so.

The specific issue appears to be my phone and my laptop - TV streaming is working well, frustratingly.

I realise this is probably a daft question, how do I switch my devices between bands (I may have mentioned I am a technophobe!)

I have someone from Open Reach visiting tomorrow, which will hopefully address the issue. 

Lee

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

there are no speed guarantees when using wifi - and speed guarantees are connection speed to your hub

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Thank you so much - so, this is the data from the router...

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ93357232

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E079

Firmware updated:

12-May-2022

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

1 Days, 0 Hours 20 Minutes 48 Seconds

Data rate:

9.99 Mbps / 2.19 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

11192 / 9542

Noise margin:

6.8 dB / 28.4 dB

Line attenuation:

63 dB

Signal attenuation:

45.9 dB / 40.5 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

465 MB Uploaded / 3 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-3TMH

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-3TMH

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

78:65:59:A5:A4:89

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0.48.8-sec

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Its not your wifi that is slow, its your broadband. Do have a landline phone, does it have dial tone? I suspect you have one wire disconnected somewhere. Broadband will work slowly on one wire but you need both to get dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Ahhh - thank you!

So on my landline, when I pick up my phone, there is no dial tone, but when I then dial a number and press call, the dial tone is present and I am able to dial the number successfully. 

I have checked and reconnected my cables and all seems to be as it should, but there's still no dial tone, when I pick up the phone.  Very strange!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

That's weird. Have you reported the fault? If not, I would do so, report it as no dial tone. 0800 800150

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

So, there's now a dial tone, but I've hosted a Google Speed test and the down/upload speeds are still the same.  The mystery continues.  I shall restart my systems and see if that makes a difference!

0 Ratings