Message 11 of 16

Re: Smart 2 Hub with 6 ports possible?

Go to solution

No WiFi, ethernet only.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

An Ethernet switch is just that, it isn't a WiFi device. It just increases the number of Ethernet ports

Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

A network switch does not provide wifi. It just allows you to add more devices that need an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet via the BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

@JR1812 wrote:

Gosh. Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your input.

What I have is a BT hub with 3 ports and Wifi (with boosters).

Question is, will this NETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch (GS108) provide Wifi throughout the house? I need the extra ports for the CCTV cameras (that use Concept Pro software).

Just to be totally clear here - you would plug the switch into one of the LAN ports on your BT hub - this would then provide the extra ports you need.  You would still keep the BT hub connected, and it would still be responsible for providing wifi.

Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Oh. This is wonderful news. Thank you so much for your advise. OK, I'm clear now.

Get the ETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch (GS108) to provide the extra ports I need (for CCTV etc) and keep the BT hub connected, because this will providing wifi.

A HUGE thank you to everyone. I had no idea the BT Community was so amazing. I started off with no hope but am now clear about what I need to do. Thank you so much. I am very grateful.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

@JR1812 

If you have BT TV then I'd suggest NOT using Netgear switches as they generally don't support (or didn't) IGMP snooping which is where only the requesting device gets the BT TV transmission otherwise all devices after that swicth get it and that can cause significant flooding (datawise) issues to your network.

For that reason I'd suggest a TP-LINK SG108 which does the job nicely.