cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Smart Hub 2 Possible Security Issue or weird bug?

@WSH

So how does it happen in domestic premises that do not share a meter!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Sorry, didn’t make myself clear.

I was referring passing the signal between different parts of the same building that are on different phases.  For anyone that doesn’t know, quite often industrial premises have different phases to different parts of the building so the supply can get away with delivering enough current.  I don’t know how true it is, as I’ve never had to make it work, but I read years ago that getting the different phases to share the signal works if they are coupled at the meter.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Your post was clear but as I have pointed out, the broadband signal can apparently be passed to different electrical cables that are in a domestic situation as in this case, and that are not connected to the same meter as in this case, so I fail to see the relevance of what you are saying unless it is to just point out that the broadband signal can cross between electrical cables.

In any event until the OP posts back with more info about his neighbours set up and what action they have taken there is really nothing further to add at this stage.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Mains electricity is delivered by 3 phase supply. In a domestic environment only a single phase is required and the 3 phases are delivered in sequence to houses. Therefore next door neighbours are not on the same phase but are 3 houses apart. However, occasionally this is not the case and adjacent houses are on the same phase which means the signal attenuation between them is not as great as it could be and signals can pass between the premises if both are using power line devices.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

@gg30340

I merely meant, that is where the confusion about meters comes from.  You make a fair point, though, so I’ll leave you to it.

@licquorice

Yes, that’s more likely to be the problem here.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

All of this is still anecdotal but I do accept that it is possible and I am pleased that I automatically password protected my own powerline devices when I used them 20 years ago and password protecting the powerline devices was the solution that was suggested in the link, (to a TP Link forum discussion), that I provided.

We may be missing the "Elephant in the Room": in that as I pointed out earlier in the thread;

when we login, (to the SH2), via 192.168.1.254 we do not need to enter a user name and a user password to access the device information which on most routers that I use is unusual.

Most other routers that I have used have needed the user to pass a login screen to access to the router information and the Smart Hub 2 does not and IMHO this is a security flaw.

Once a third party has accessed the SH2 via the powerline security flaw or via another glitch in the case of the SH2 the third party can see information about the neighbours router that should not be accessible. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

I fail to see a security risk.

The hub manager can only be accessed when connected to the LAN, not  externally.

Without entering a password, it is read only.

0 Ratings