cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Smart Hub 2 - Slow and poor Wifi!

Hi Folks,

Recently upgraded to Full Fibre 300 package and ever since have been having wifi problems. It seems that my previous router and package was better in terms of getting consistent speed and connection over Wi-Fi to our bedrooms, than this latest and more expensive package and equipment.

I contacted BT tech agent many times about it and the last one told me that it would be better to use 2.4Hz band and he would close 5Mz band on my router system, remotely. So now I basically end up with the same speed as before my upgrade which is about 50-60Mbs instead of 150Mbs. Is he right in shutting 5Mz band?

The router is placed on my passage, as I thought the signal would travel better to our bedrooms upstairs. The previous old router was placed in the living room on the TV bench but still had solid Wi-Fi connection in upstairs bedroom. I live in a terraced house

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smart Hub 2 - Slow and poor Wifi!

I would turn to 5ghz network on as it is faster but covers shorter distance than the 2.4ghz network

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

I would also use a wifi analyser on phone and find channels in use near you then change hub channels to free or less congested channels

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.

If I use the 5Ghz then I would lose wifi range. Which is the best option on the router interface, which I haven't gone to. Do I need to fiddle with the router interface and what setting should it be on. Should both 5 & 2.4Ghz enabled on the router interface?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I would have both 2.4 and 5ghz networks active. I would also select channels manually and not use the auto setting. Choose channels by using a WiFi analyser to select best channels for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.