cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Smart Hub 2 & WD Mycloud connection

Go to solution

Hello. 

Firstly, I'll admit I'm not very good with tech so please bear with me. 

I've just moved to BT from Sky. My WD Mycloud NAS device was connected to my sky router via ethernet cable and I was able to see this NAS on my other devices on the network. However, despite it being connected in exactly the same way, I'm unable to get the MyCloud connected to the network through the BT Smarthub.

I've done some searching and there have been suggestions about disabling smart setup but I don't have that in my router settings. 

I'm totally confused (& frustrated) as to why this won't connect. Could anyone offer an easy to understand solution please.

Thanks in advance. 

Dave. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 & WD Mycloud connection

Go to solution

Have you tried another LAN port on the router?

Can you see the WD as a device in the router interface?

The Sky router uses a different IP address range to BT’s so you may need to run the setup again, depending on how the WD software addresses the NAS.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
@rbz5416 Yes, I tried the other ports on the hub but to no avail.

I connected my laptop to the router via ethernet cable to check the router wasn't faulty; it connected fine, so I'm assuming a faulty router isn't the issue.

No, the router isn't recognising the device, although the MyCloud device has a solid blue light, which shows that it's connected and ready to go. I assume that this means it has Internet access, yet it can't be seen.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

As@rbz5416 has said, I suspect the NAS still has an IP address in the Sky range rather than the BT 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Probably worth factory resetting the NAS and setting it up again, or try giving it a static address of 192.168.1.10 with gateway 192.168.1.254

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply @licquorice .

Presumably, I'll lose everything that's stored on there with a factory reset? Is there a way of changing those without a factory reset?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

No idea, I don't have a NAS. I can advise WHAT to do, not HOW to do it though I'm afraid.

You could try changing the hub IP addressing range to match the old Sky range.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Not sure how reliable the device reporting on the Hub is, several posts suggest not very. I don't use one so can't comment but I'd have thought you should at least see a device under My Devices, even if it isn't identified. That should show an IP address. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the Hub can chip in.

A quick look at the WD setup suggests a blue LED indicates all is good. So I think this is going to be a question for WD support/forums.

As I said, the address ranges are different with Sky using 192.168.0.x & BT using 192.168.1.x, so the address of the WD will have changed. I'd have thought that the WD software could take care of that & would just be looking to the device on the same network.

Just a thought but did you power cycle the WD after connecting it?

As @licquorice said, you could change the gateway address of the Hub to match the Sky one but that could cause problems with BT support further down the line.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@davemk1 

Do you still have the Sky router?

If yes :-

Then I'd reinstall that , obviously without any internet connection, and then login to the NAS and check the network settings. You can either have set the WD Cloud to use DHCP with the Sky router assigning the ip address or manually assigned the ip address yourself.Either way I'd then set the ip address to 192.168.1.10 and the DNS gateway to 192.168.1.254. Replace the Sky router with the BT hub and then login to the WD Cloud using 192.168.1.10 as the ip address.

Otherwise this link explains reset options and obviously option A is the one to go for.

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks very much for all the help folks. As suggested, I performed a reset and it's working. I had previously power cycled the WD device and had assumed that a reset would delete everything.

You've saved Christmas - we have some Xmassy files on the NAS and the kids would have been gutted if we couldn't access them. Thanks everyone!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Glad you got it sorted

0 Ratings