cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Smart Hub 2, no guest network, help please

Go to solution

Well clearly, having considered the replies to my post, I'm utterly wrong and BT's router not having Guest Mode is a fine thing and to be applauded. 

Well done.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@gavin7 wrote:

Well clearly, having considered the replies to my post, I'm utterly wrong and BT's router not having Guest Mode is a fine thing and to be applauded. 

Well done.

Well clearly you had not thought through your scenario or how Guest Mode works on a router.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Change the wifi password on a regular basis - simples 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Here in some recommendation to support BT providing  a guest network solution for Smart Hub 2: Is someone able to raise this with BT to look at a roadmap for providing this feature?

NSA recommend using a guest network:
"Implement wireless network segmentation

Leverage network segmentation on your home network to keep your wireless communication secure. At a minimum, your wireless network should be segmented between your primary Wi-Fi, guest Wi-Fi, and IoT network. This segmentation keeps less secure devices from directly communicating with your more secure devices"

From "National Security Agency | Cybersecurity Information Sheet
Best Practices for Securing Your Home Network"

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Indeed a guest network is a must have if you have a lot of guests or visitors to your home. This is especially important if you have a lot of connected kit like Sonos, Hue, smart TVs etc as it prevents guests from being able to connect to these devices. Typically routers with guest networks also give preference to non-guests which is useful if you've got a load of teenagers over nailing your broadband. 

You won't want to rotate the password on your main network as it would mean setting up all your connected equipment again. Imagine dealing with that for 8 smart speakers, 3 TVs, the washing machine (!), Thermostat etc. Nightmare. Having a guest network where you can rotate the password with zero impact is much better. 

Massive oversight on what otherwise is pretty decent kit from BT. I use a Nest router and points but there are cheaper and probably better alternatives for a lower price. 

Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

I think the poor chap was actually being sarcastic. No concept of irony is a wonderful thing.

These nitwits are trying to say that all manufactures of routers are wrong in adding the function of a guest network !!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

@jimmyjones3020 wrote:

I think the poor chap was actually being sarcastic. No concept of irony is a wonderful thing.

These nitwits are trying to say that all manufactures of routers are wrong in adding the function of a guest network !!

I think it is you that is the nitwit here and I suggest that you re read the thread.

No one has said a guest network is not a good function to have.

What has been said is that the scenario that was given by gavin7 would not stop the Police knocking at his door if the bad guys were using his guest network for unlawful purposes.  

If the guest network is only a feature of the router, it will be using the same public IP address as you are using. The private network subnet may be different, and the router should prevent guests from interacting with non-guest devices using the same router.

If an ISP provides a guest network such as BT-WiFi where other users of the BT ISP can use the guest account while roaming round the country providing they are within range of a suitably enabled router, then the public IP address used by BTWifi will be different from your own public IP address.

The BTWifi connections take the user to a landing page where they have to enter a username and password to authenticate that they are a legitimate user of the ISP. With the BT system, anyone can use their guest service. If they do not have a broadband contract with the ISP, then when they hit the landing page they can buy a short term access pass with a credit card payment via the landing page which obviously requires their name and address to be available if required by the Police etc.