cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 2 usb port

Is it possible to plug a usb connected printer into the usb port on the back of the router and use it as a network printer? If so, does this require any configuration steps in the router interface and are there any instructions?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 2 usb port

I very much doubt if the USB port can be used for a network printer, to do so would require the hub to be configured as a print server. There are no configuration options regarding the USB port. All you can do is try it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Didn't work for me

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If your printer has a wireless option, connect it wirelessly to your home network and then set it up as a network printer. 

If it is not wireless or does not have an Ethernet option, you could connect it to a Windows computer by USB and assuming the computer is connected to your Smarthub, set up printer sharing on the computer and your other devices can print through that computer.

It will of course require the computer to be turned on to allow printing.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Well, that used to work ok but the recent travails with Windows and network printing has put paid to doing that successfully (at least for me) since September.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I don't know about Windows 11 but it still works on W10.

If it used to work for you I would try a factory reset of the BT hub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds and if that doesn't work try setting the printer up again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the advice, but not what I was expecting as I'm certain that I have seen this was possible using an earlier version of the home hub with a sub port.

my next best option will probably be to get a network drive with built in print server.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I'm pretty sure no BT home hubs have ever had a USB print server capability.

Amazon do  standalone USB print servers from about £25 upwards.

0 Ratings