cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

SmartHub2 Changing an ip address

I am attempting to change the ip address on the router. I set the new address and modify the DHCP range. On saving the administration screen disappears, however it isn't changing the address. I can no longer access the hub administration pages (on either my new or old addresses), however the DHCP still appears to be allocating using the old (192.168.1.xx) range. Without access to the hub administration pages fault finding is tough.

The factory reset gets me back to default settings.

There was a similar thread but the poster seems to have managed to do this, is there a recent firmware issue?

Regards 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: SmartHub2 Changing an ip address

Have you released and renewed the old IP address in the device you are using to connect to the hub?

If you still can't access the management page, factory reset the hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

Why do you need to change the address?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

If the hub worked as I expect, a new Dhcp address, in he new range, should be allocated. It isn't. Curiously the address allocated is from the old range.

Obviously resetting the box puts it back to the old 192.168.1.254 address.

I intend to use a rather more complex firewall downstream of the router, I need some ports open at some times etc. etc., far beyond the rather basic firewall on the SmartHub.

These units update firmware with no user input, something I find very irritating.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Unless you have Digital Voice, there is no need to use the BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I don’t know whether it applies in this case, but it sounds similar.

I’ve found the SH2 DHCP to be rather flaky as well.  If you change the hub address to something that is not compatible with the existing address range then when you save it, it just reverts back to the original settings without reporting any error.  It does this even if the DHCP is turned off!  As Liquorice said, a factory reset should put it back to square one again.

As far as the firmware being outside of user control is concerned, I suspect that is for security reasons.  If it was manual some people wouldn’t bother, of course.  Doing it remotely ensures they all get done in a reasonable timeframe.  In view of the number of hubs out there, I suspect they stagger releases on an area or serial number basis.  They’re are not going to advertise when, if or why there is an update to protect the ones that haven’t had the update yet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Have you tried using a static ip address on your computer in the valid range for the new ip address you have tried on the router? This would avoid the problem of the router dishing out an ip address in the old (no longer valid) range by dhcp.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I think I may end up on this route, but I'll keep digging for a few days longer
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

What range are you trying to use?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

A question for WSH. Did you manage to change the address? Obviously I need a machine connecting to the original net address, just to change the address - is the hub looking at that machine and 'saying I'm not going to do this because I can see a machine I couldn't talk to now'?

Looking through previous posts it does appear that other people have been able to do this in the past, which is why I suspect that recent firmware has caused the failure.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Answer for licquorice, I was first trying to change the address to 192.168.0.254. Although a perfectly legal private address I have seen (a long time ago) software spit this out, so I tried 192.168.10.254, and that doesn't work either.

0 Ratings