cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Smarthub 2 poor wifi

Hi, I've recently upgraded to 500mb full fibre which meant smarthub 2 as a replacement for smarthub 1 and here's the problem. While speeds to the router and using ethernet to my main pc are excellent the wifi is now pretty much non existent unless in the same room as the router.

I live in a old property, that's not very wide but quite long. The previous smarthub had no problems reaching the other end of the propery (where there is a security camera connected to the wifi) because I could seperate the signals and have everything on 2.4ghz that wasn't in the same room as the router. I can't do this on smarthub 2 and it decides 5ghz is best. I've tried turning off smart connect and changing the channels after using wifi analyzer and I still cannot get anything to connect properly outside of the main room. It's incredibly frustrating.

Is there anything I can do short of spending more money to fix this? Cheers

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Smarthub 2 poor wifi

just go to hub manager and turn off 5ghz network then connect your 2.4ghz devices and once connected re-enable the 5ghz  that should help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

This kinda worked. I can at least now connect to the camera but it's very unstable and viewing any saved footage seems to be not possible. I'm gonna just buy a new router with a wan port, I didn't realise they were so cheap. Cheers
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@Bluestinger 

just bear in mind that if you get digital voice then you need to use the SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 14

I'm not sure you can do anything without spending some money e.g. I would suggest getting a cheap second hand mesh system which can separate your WiFi bands and take your signal around your home. You can keep your SH2 and put the mesh system behind it if needed

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I can get this sorted fairly easily now. Cheers!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

@Bluestinger 

You would be better using a separate powerline Wi-Fi hotspot device, and locating it at the far end of the house. This would mean spending a small amount of money.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

About £39. 

This only transmits 2.4GHz wireless.

Wireless mesh systems also transmit 2.4 and 5GHz, and can give the same problem.

Message 8 of 14

If it's feasible, you could run an ethernet cable to the mid-point of the house & relocate the SH2 there. You could try that with just cheap ready made cable to see if it solves the problem before worrying about a permanent run.

Message 9 of 14

The wireless performance of the SH2 is poor and unreliable in my opinion and a number of folk have posted issues here. I have repurposed router that I use as a wireless access point. It’s far more reliable than the sh2

Message 10 of 14

@spilewrote:

The wireless performance of the SH2 is poor and unreliable in my opinion and a number of folk have posted issues here. I have repurposed router that I use as a wireless access point. It’s far more reliable than the sh2

Myself & numerous others must be doing something wrong then as personally I've never had any issues with it, I think some people expect far too much from wifi sometimes

0 Ratings