cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Speed to devices slow on 900 fibre package

Hi all

Since fibre was installed our device speeds have been slow. Never go above 100.  Multiple open reach engineers have commented on slow speeds but haven't done anything about it. Realistically what speed should I be seeing to my phone on a speed test? We were getting full speeds on our old copper line 300 package. 

Thanks 😀 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Speed to devices slow on 900 fibre package

Hi Verity

Have you downloaded the My BT app to your phone?

This has a speed test built in that will tell you whether you are getting the speed you are paying for. This result is accepted by BT as a basis for action if you are not reaching the stay fast guarantee.

Ewan1_0-1721244671168.png

Is the network cable between your Smart Hub 2 and the Modem the one BT supplied and is it connected to Port 4 on the back of the hub?

As WIFI is half duplex (can't send and receive at the same time) you can expect to get around 500Mbps on a WIFI connected device. Using a network cable you should see between 700Mbps and 900Mbps on a device connected this way.

You do not see this difference on slower speed contracts because you are operating well within the limits of the BT Smart Hub2. The faster you go the closer you get to the limits of the Smart Hub.

You may well be asking what then is the point of have 900Mbps? The answer is bandwidth, it allows you to support many devices at the same time without a drop off in performance.

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply. Yes we meet stay fast guarantee and our upload speeds are fine but we are lucky to get 50mb on a device the max is 130mb on a good day. Our speeds were faster on the old broadband to our devices. All is set up correctly and a new hub all done by an engineer 10 days ago just to be absolutely sure. No one seeks to know why 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes we meet stay fast guarantee and our upload speeds are fine but we are lucky to get 50mb on a device the max is 130mb on a good day.

It sounds like your broadband is running at the expected speed, but the problem is with your in-home WiFi.

You could verify this by testing speed on a device connected to the Hub by an ethernet cable (Cat 5e or better) - you should get close to the package speed.

If the problem is your WiFi then you could try a number of things:

- run ethernet cables to any fixed devices (PCs, TVs atc.), so that WiFi is only used by those devices that really need it

- download a WiFi analyser app to your phone, use this to find the least-busy channels, and switch your hub to one of those

- set up a WiFi mesh network - BT offer two versions, or you can go for a 3rd party (e.g. Deco or Eero, or one of many others)

- run ethernet cables to remote parts of the house and connect WiFi Access Points (APs) to those to provide WiFi connectivity at those points.

Message 5 of 8

Thank you. Open reach don't seem to know or bt. We have the wifi discs too. Nothing but problems since regrading to fibre. I've asked for a bt tech expert to come too
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi Verity

Do you have the Black Discs that link to the Smart Hub 2 to extend the WIFI range?

You mentioned that you have been provided with a new Smart Hub 2, did the discs come with the hub or did you have them already?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I think the WIFI analyzer you suggest might be pertinent here, there could be some crazy interference on a given channel that the new Hub has set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Everything is new. Speeds have been slow since the moment engineer installed fibre even he commented on it. Then bt cut me off and accused me of leaving them. Basically what happened was bt cancelled the install with open reach but they went ahead and did the job. Never had decent speeds since it was installed. Had to wait 2 weeks to become an apparent new customer. This was in March

0 Ratings