cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Stopping people using wifi

As I understand it, turning off Wi-Fi does not turn off the Wi-Fi that the public can connect to just your Wi-Fi it's very misleading. You would need to get a third party router to stop this happening.

''

BT Wi-fi (including BT Openzone) is a wi-fi broadband service that you can access in public places called hotspots. These include airports, hotels, coffee shops, motorway service stations and city centres. Get online at over 5 million BT Wi-fi hotspots throughout the UK and Ireland, and at selected locations outside the UK.

When you join BT Wi-fi as a BT Broadband customer, your BT Hub becomes a wi-fi hotspot. In return, you get access to millions of other hotspots worldwide for free.''

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

ZooBurner

The next door neighbour's child would require the OPs BTID and password to be able to log onto the BTWifi signal or some other persons BTID and password such as his parents if they were BT broadband customers.

Anyone using the BTWifi signal does not have access to the private network of the BT hub that is transmitting it.

Message 13 of 23

Is the simple answer here to the original problem not - change the wifi password?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

@ozsat wrote:

Is the simple answer here to the original problem not - change the wifi password?

Read all the thread!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

I did read the whole thread and don't see a valid reason for not changing the password.

I have 8 smart devices and for sake of stopping someone using my wifi I would change the password. Something I do every few months anyway. You never know when your going to have to change it anyway so should always be able to do it. Hiding devices is one thing - making them inaccessable is another.

Or just switch off the router at times you think they may be using it - they'll soon get the message. Or change the wifi name for a while ??

They could be doing dodgy stuff so are choosing not to use their own connection so their IP is not recorded. It does seem they are choosing to be on your account rather than the one they should be on.

@gg30340wrote:

@ozsatwrote:

Read all the thread!

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

@ZooBurnerWhat you say about hot spots is correct however you can "opt out" via "My BT" if you do this it will stop your hub being used as a hot spot HOWEVER you will no longer be able to use other people's hot spots.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

The OP said it is not an option to change the password because he has devices that he can not access to change the password on because they are located under the floorboards which would need lifted to facilitate the changing of passwords.

While you might not agree with him doing that, it is his choice where he locates his devices.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

The neighbours son is not using BTWifi. He is using the OP's BT hubs home network wireless signal.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

The fundamental question that has not been asked is whether he is using it deliberately in order to circumvent his parents parental controls on their hub or whether he is just inadvertently using it because he hasn't deleted the details and the device is just picking it up automatically. If the latter, it is a simple matter of deleting the details.

Message 20 of 23

It is his choice where he puts them - but then you can't complain if you need to do something which needs access to them.

Like the people who complain after buidling the HDMI cable into the wall - and then later needing to replace it.

All technology need to be accessible at some point.

The 'guest network' option would have been a better option to allow a neighbour temporary access - but that's too late now.

My own thought is the continuing user is the most likely one to know how to switch back to the correct network and so is likely to be choosing to stay on the wrong network - maybe it is faster or maybe because it doesn't link back to their own house. If this is the case then simply asking them to stop may not give the desired result.

@gg30340wrote:

The OP said it is not an option to change the password because he has devices that he can not access to change the password on because they are located under the floorboards which would need lifted to facilitate the changing of passwords.

While you might not agree with him doing that, it is his choice where he locates his devices.

0 Ratings