cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

TP-Link Deco XE75 Whole Home mesh system - best configuration?

Go to solution

Hi,

I hope all is well.

Firstly I’m not that technical and would appreciate your advice and guidance on the set up of my home internet network. I have BT’s 500Mbps full fibre broadband. I have a BT Openreach modem on the wall and from that I have an Ethernet cable running to a BT Smart Hub router. Wi-Fi is turned off in the Router. I’ve recently bought TP-Link's Deco XE75 Pro AXE5400 Whole Home mesh system to improve our Wi-Fi coverage and signal. I’ve set that up by running another Ethernet cable from the BT Smart Hub router to one of the Deco’s. I did see one Amazon customer state in his review that he had removed his BT Smart Hub altogether and had connected one of the Deco’s directly to the Modem. I have BT’s Digital Voice service and have my answer phone base unit connected to the phone socket on the back of the BT Smart Hub so I didn’t think that was an option for me. Otherwise I would lose access to my home phone connection?

Now I’m thinking could I connect one of my Deco’s to the modem and then run an Ethernet cable from the Deco to my BT Smart Hub, and more importantly if this is possible would it make a positive difference to my network’s performance/speeds or is my current arrangement the best option?

Also I’ve more or less set up my Deco system straight out of the box and as per the app. I don’t currently have any devices that operate on Wi-Fi 6 and they all connect via the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. Based on this are there any changes and tweaks I could make to improve my network’s configuration and performance?

I would be grateful for any help and support you could offer.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: TP-Link Deco XE75 Whole Home mesh system - best configuration?

Go to solution

as you have DV then SH2 needs to be connected directly to ONT (modem)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for your detailed post.

I also have a DecoXE75. 

I have BT fibre to cabinet and a landline connection and have been looking at my options with the April  broadband  inflation price rises and the change in cabling requirements (https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network ).

Your questions were very helpful, when I was looking about my broadband going further.

In particular helpful about digital voice (DV) connection as a replacement for landline phone number via the copper line exchange system.

Incidentally I am considering to complain to Ofcom about the way the providers are imposing huge increases in prices based on annual inflation (especially since inflation spiked the past 2 years) and that new contracts have long,long  24 month contract.

Thanks again for your post.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@imjolly 

DV ?  ,  SH2 ?    ONT ?

It would be helpful for non technical people that you do not use abbreviations.

I have been looking into my options with upcoming discontinuing of copper broadband and phone lines so I think I know what you mean by the abbreviations but not everyone may.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@m2018gc1 wrote:

@imjolly 

DV ?  ,  SH2 ?    ONT ?

It would be helpful for non technical people that you do not use abbreviations.

I have been looking into my options with upcoming discontinuing of copper broadband and phone lines so I think I know what you mean by the abbreviations but not everyone may.

these are not 'technical abbreviations' but are simple abbreviations commonly used on this forum.  if you have a problem then google is your friend

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings