cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

TP Link Settings

Hi all,

TP-Link Ax1500 on BT Full Fibre 150. PPPoe connection to ONT (no digital voice or phone line).

After months of gaming lag issues I decided to purchase a third party router to see if it helped which it has, there has been a marked improvement.

there are still times where I can notice a small amount of lag and given that on the TP-Link there are far more settings you can change, I want to ensure they are right/optimised. 

i was going to try a different DNS setting through the router first but would appreciate some guidance on the following please;

Dynamic DNS is set to ‘provided by TP link’ the other options are ‘No IP’ or ‘Dynamic’ which would be best suited?

QOS enabled and the Xbox has priority.

all other connections are on 2.4ghz.

Mac clone set to default. 

IP and Mac binding is on, is that right?

IPV4 PPPoe connection and currently gets IP and DNS dynamically from ISP, is that right?

IPV6 enabled on PPPoe, DNS is set to dynamic from ISP. Is this right? 

IPV6 LAN is SLAAC stateless is this right?

Easy mesh enabled is this right? 

smart connect disabled which is right. 

NAT set to enabled, is that right? 

Obviously I don’t know what all these mean and trying my best to understand so any help and guidance is greatly appreciated! 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: TP Link Settings

There are no settings you can make which will change lag

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Having QoS enabled has helped.
Having Smart Connect disabled has helped.

They are both settings….
So once again thanks for your help. Please stop commenting on my posts. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

The absolute best you can do to eliminate high ping/packet loss (aka lag) caused by equipment in your home is use an ethernet cable. The fact that turning of the smart connect feature helped means that the devices in question were downgrading to the 2.4Ghz network in order to try and get a more stable connection.  The more devices on wifi, the more the problem is compounded. For reference, in my property i have installed Cat6e to every device that is not mobile so the only devices using my wifi network are phones and tablets. Even when they negotiate a 160 Mhz 5Ghz band, you will still see a high "jitter" and experience some packet loss due to interference from neighbours routers - and im using the unusual DFS channels. 

For reference, i have included a screenshot of a packet loss test that includes a ping measurement. One is on a 1Gbe connection, one is on a Wifi6, 5Ghz 160Mhz channel, with a negotiated speed of 2162/1922 (Mbps) , basically the best case for wifi - notice those ping spike on the wifi, even in a best case scenario. That can cause the "lag" you feel 

Tl;Dr Want no lag? get a cable between the router and the device you want no lag on. If you still have lag, there's an issue with the connection to your home (verify by running https://packetlosstest.com/ on uk server with hardwired connection), or the game server you are using. 

djenson2000_0-1714160607205.png

Message 5 of 14

Thank you for the information, I have the Xbox connected to the router via a cat 6 Ethernet however the router is connected to the ONT via a cat 5e Ethernet so I could upgrade that. 
we have two mobile devices and a smart tv connected to the router via WiFi but I’ve put the tv on 2.4ghz however this device does stream a lot for a family member whilst I’m playing.

weve had a BT engineer test the line and said there was no issue at all.

I will test everything as per your recommendation.

i just wasn’t sure if the settings I’ve got on the router were correct for a BT full fibre connection. 

thank you again

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

IMG_3032.jpeg

This was with uk server selected and to fornite as an example although the issue I have is with FC24  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Don't bother upgrading the cables - I used to fall for it too - they are being used for a 1Gb link, unless there is individual stands showing, it will make no difference, esp for the ~1m ish length 

Its more when you want a 10Gbe connection over 30 meters that more expensive shielded cables become a necessity 

In terms of settings you can change, if you have QoS enabled and the xbox set are a priority device (so it has a little star) there is nothing else you can do that will make a difference. A DNS change could improve the time to resolve the game server's IP address, but once connected (i.e. in a game) it will make no difference 

Also, FYI, Dynamic DNS is for web hosting and self run VPN's - it is a domain that resolves to your current public IP address. I would not recommend setting it up unless you have a use for it. 

If you are seeing lag in the game, you are connected with a cable and had an engerneer check the line, i would hedge bets on the game you are playing server's to be the couplet of your lag issues.  Does the lag occur when playing a game from a completely different studio (i.e. wont be sharing servers)? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

See message 2

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Ye I’d read that dynamic DNS is not required and should be left off so when I had the smart hub 2 it was obviously disabled by default however on the new router within the Dynamic DNS section is states provided by; TP link and I didn’t know where it should be changed to NO IP instead?

I haven’t tried another game online to be honest so I will give that a go as well and see. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Try to get a result on a hardwired device if possible - your result very much looks like wifi. It should be a relatively flat line, with the Average Latency no higher than 25ms and Average jitter below 1ms. 

0 Ratings