cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

openreach master socket port shape is wrong - can't verify BT ID

Go to solution

Hello,

I bought a broadband package 5 days ago and just received my Smart Hub 2. I originally scheduled for someone to set it up for me but I received an email saying it wasn't needed -- because there is an openreach master socket in my new flat, I assume.

Unfortunately, it seems like an older model (or something unrelated to broadband?) called NEW BT NTE5, and the ethernet cable doesn't plug in.

I tried logging into my BT account to see if I could configure my Hub to work without an ethernet cable but I apparently waited too long to to activate my ID because I am stuck in a loop of error messages telling me my ID isn't verified, even as I request new verification emails.

What can I do? I'll call customer service tomorrow but I'm trying my luck here as well as I need Wi-Fi pretty urgently. Thanks!

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: openreach master socket port shape is wrong - can't verify BT ID

Go to solution

An NTE5c is a master socket that supplies copper delivered broadband. You need to connect an RJ11 - RJ11 cable to DSL socket on the hub, it is not an Ethernet cable that is required.

Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

We've seen instances before where the required DSL/RJ11 cable is missing from the router box. I don' t know if that's just an error from the manufacturer or if BT have different packages for FTTC & FTTP.

Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

They do indeed seem have two different versions.  The one I got from BT was an FTTC version with an RJ11 cable.  A second one I obtained was for FTTP with just ethernet cables.  The Smart Hub 2's themselves are identical, in fact.

Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

thanks so much, so if I get my hands on an RJ11/DSL cable, will it work on both ends? the broadband and ethernet ports on the back of the Hub are all the same shape. 

(I can work that out on my own, but is this something I can find in any electronics store?)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

They are not necessarily the same shape.  You say the broadband and ethernet ports are the same.  There are two setups here:

FTTC, "Fibre", which is based on the old copper phone lines.  It uses an RJ11 phone cable from the phone master socket to the DSL port on the Smart Hub.  (Some newer phone sockets will also take an ethernet (RJ45) cable but it still needs RJ11 at the hub DSL port).

FTTP, "Full Fibre", which is based on fibre optic cables.  It uses an ethernet cable from a box on the wall with lights on it known as an ONT, (Optical Network Termination), to an ethernet socket on the back of the Smart Hub.  This is ethernet port 4 and marked "WAN".  It also needs to be enabled for FTTP mode in the Smart Hub management pages.

Obviously, which you use depends on which you have.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for keeping up with me, I’m new to all this and english acronyms especially 🫡

Based on your description, it seems like I need an FTTC - since I have this NTE5c master socket and nothing else - but I only got ethernet cables fit for FTTP.

After closer inspection, the “broadband” port on the hub (that’s the DSL, right?) is slightly different from the WAN and ethernet ports. If I understand correctly, I just need a RJ11 cable with two different ends, one that fits into my NTE5c socket and one into my DSL hub port, and then I’m set with an FTTC?

(I want to post pictures but it’s not working…)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Yes, you need a cable with an RJ11 plug at each end.

Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Yes, & no!

Unfortunately there are two standards for the cable, straight & crossover. So you need the right one, or order one of each.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Yes, that's spot on.  (As Licquorice says).

If you have an old router with an RJ11 cable that cable will probably work.

Edit:  Crossover or straight through works with the Smart hub.

0 Ratings